1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in Dubai

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by pmillie, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Hi

My husband is hoping to get a job in Dubai and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about working out there? I did my GTP and an NQT year then went on maternity leave. I'm currently working as a supply teaching, averaging one day a week as I have decided to stay home with my child. I have been looking on various schools' websites and most stipulate that they require a PGCE and at least two years experience of teaching in a school. Does this mean two years after you have done your NQT year?

I am not in any hurry to get a job when or if we go out there but I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a job out there. Also, I am wondering if they will take applications from candidates from within Dubai (when I get there) instead of applying here? My last question is: are there supply agencies in Dubai? If so, does anyone know of any that I could contact?

I said, my husband is hoping to get a job and doesn't actually have one yet but we are weighing up the pros and cons of going there.

Many thanks in advance.

2. best to post this on the teaching overseas forum

3. Hi,

I live in Dubai and I have no doubt you will get a job when you're here. You'll find it easier to get a job when you're here as lots of schools employ teachers who are on their husbands visa. Most British International Schools need staff and they don't always advertise on the TES because of the cost. It's better to contact them directly.

You've got a GTP and NQT, that is more than enough.

Hope this helps!

4. jkhanom

jkhanom New commenter

Hi I am in more or less the same situation only its just me thats looking for work. I think I have missed the boat for Gems. so would I apply directly to the pricipal or who?

5. momentofclarity

momentofclarity New commenter

Post this in the teaching overseas forum. There is constant chatter about Dubai. I worked in the region. If you apply for a job once there you are likely going to be offered a "local hire" contract which is typically at a lower salary and little to no benefits. If your husband is working and his company covers all of these I suppose it is not a problem, but not a situation I would be comfortable with. If a school is not willing to advertise on the TES due to cost it is not a school you want to work at. Have a look at British Schools of the Middle East (BSME) home page. You can get a list of schools affiliated with the organization and at least give you a good idea where to start. At this point you are best to check out the school's websites and apply directly. Agencies are done their major fairs and most schools are currently deep into the recruitment season. You may be late to the party, but better late than never!

Good Luck, MoC