1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in Dubai as an NQT

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by LibbyBliss, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Hi,

I am currently doing the GTP and will qualify as a History Teacher in June 2012. As part of my training I also get the PGCE certificate through Leeds University.
    I am interested in going to work for an international school in Dubai. I just wanted to know if they would take on an NQT and whether or not working there can counts towards your NQT year.
    Is it true that you have to don your NQT year within 5 years of leaving university also?

Thanks

2. Hi there,

unfortunately most reputable schools anywhere in the UAE prefer their teachers to have at least 2 years teaching experience so you may have difficulty with that one. However, that being said there are always exceptions and at the end of the day if you appen to be up against a limited field you could still be an attractive candidate.

I believe that you can delay your NQT year and don't have to do it straight away meaning that you could apply straight to an international post. However you do need to complete it in the UK.

So all in all there are pros and cons of applying straight into the intenational market. I would consider carefully whether in the long tem it would be better to wait a couple of years and then be in a better position when you do move abroad if this is something that you really want to do.

all the best with it!

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I would echo sebe's concerns. Yes, it is quite possible to get a job in the UAE as an NQT, but then again it tends to be the rather naff schools that seem to want to employ newly-qualified teachers. It is also quite possible to get a teaching job at some schools in the region with no qualifications at all, so my advice would be to look this gift horse in the mouth with a magnifying glass. On the other hand, a job (any job?) in Dubai might be a lot better than being unepmployed in the UK...

4. LCass

LCass New commenter

Would the situation be different if the NQT is part of a teaching couple? By the time my fiance will be finished with his PGCE, I will have 3 years of experience and we would like to go back abroad as soon as possible afterwards. He worked as an untrained teacher for two years already, not sure if that could be to our advantage?

5. the hippo

Well, it might be different if you were to be teaching Chemistry or Physics. Then the school would welcome both you and your fiance with open arms, so you could indeed go back abroad asap. If you were a Chemistry or a Physics teacher, then you could also turn water into wine, raise the dead and cast out demons. (When I was teaching in the UAE, one Chemistry-teaching colleague of mine had to beg Etisalat to disconnect his landline phone because he was fed up with international schools ringing him up at all hours of the day and the night, offering him very well paid teaching jobs that he had not even applied for.)

6. LCass

LCass New commenter

Thank you Hippo, that's good news to start the new year with - I am a Physics teacher. Turning water into wine, raising the dead and casting out demons sounds like a whole new career path, I should give that a go if everything else fails :p

7. the hippo

A little touch of hyperbole (or hippoperbole), but otherwise not so far from the truth, LCass. Physics and Chemistry teachers usually get the red-capet-and-vintage-Bollinger treatment. Do I sound a tad jealous? Well, for a whole year Mrs Hippo and I had to put up with the four-in-the-morning ravings from the mosque (the very LOUD loudspeakers were just outside our bedroom window). However, the teaching couple next door to us were immediately given a new apartment. The husband was a Physics teacher, of course.

8. LCass

LCass New commenter

That sounds like fun. My other half has mentioned similar experiences from his time in the ME, apparently the air vent in his bathroom acted like an amplifier. He'd be happy if it was a different story next time.

9. the hippo

BLUESKY21, the topic of "doing your NQT year overseas" is one that has been done to death on this forum. Then the lifeless corpse was exhumed, shot, hanged, drawn, quartered and finally buried again, several times...

10. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I think it went something like:
    Bad idea..
    Yes, but..
    Go for it!
    Yes, but...
    Maybe I'll do a search and refresh my memory.

11. the hippo

The topic of whether or not is is a good idea to teach overseas without having completed your NQT (or "induction") year in the UK seems to be one that keeps popping up on this forum. In a nutshell, I would say YES, it is indeed possible to get an overseas teaching post without having done your NQT year. However, it is probably much better to get your NQT year done and dusted in the UK first, before you start applying for jobs overseas.
    On the other hand, NQTs who cannot find any kind of teaching job in the UK, not even some supply, will not have the luxury of a choice.

12. invincible

invincible New commenter

No, it's not. There is no time limit on starting and completing the NQT year. There used to be a rule that once you had started it, it had to be completed within 5 years but that also has gone.

13. the hippo

There is also no limit on the number of times people will ask the same questions...