1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in an outstanding school? Inspection looms!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MrMedia, Sep 1, 2019.

1. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

As they announce plans to inspect all outstanding schools
    Ofsted inspections for top-rated schools to be reinstated https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49540258

Beware that of the outstanding schools inspected last year, 80% didn’t retain their grade.

No new money for ofsted so that means a break for the rest of you in good schools.

But the rule goes in MATs that if you lose your ofsted grade you lose your job. Then a new Head comes in and starts smashing everything up. Then churn happens. Then the school is brokered to a new chain which imposes crazy zero tolerance rules and has an ultra young workforce.

It really sounds like a great plan doesn’t it? Just remove ofsted grading and automatically downgrade every outstanding school to good enough and it’s a cheap and easy fix. But that would not allow MAT CEOs to make money in the chaos. You’d think the people in charge only care about money rather than education wouldn’t you?

donrickles, install and Catgirl1964 like this.
  2. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

The people (sic) in charge?

"Alexander" aka buffoonBoris.

LOL

MrMedia likes this.
  3. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

And those staff who find themselves moved to a MAT, or to a different MAT, might not be able to rely on TUPE post brexit - TUPE comes from an EU directive.

4. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

But British democracy is always best.

Johnny EU Foreigner could never invent an institution like the Mother of Parliaments, for example.

War-time motto: "We never close."

MrMedia likes this.
  5. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

My local Grammar school hasn't had a full inspection since 2007!!
    About time I say!

alexmurraybrown and install like this.
  6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

and here was me thinking that young people had more sense than to go into teaching these days !

7. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

That's weird. And also unlikely since the rules were brought in relatively recently.

8. Cynic01

Cynic01 New commenter

No - I think that the previous commentator is correct on the timescale.

9. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Of course, one question is left begging.

If Ofsted are overworked, and behind on inspections, who will they prioritise ? A school ‘RI’ or ‘Inadequate’, or an ‘Outstanding’ school with excellent results and no issues who haven’t been seen for a while?

10. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

11. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

My daughter's school last inspected 2007 as well.

install likes this.
  12. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

Being exempt since 2012 doesn't mean they were inspected in 2011.

A school local to us was inspected this year, it hadn't had a visit for 11 years previously.

install likes this.
  13. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Lots of new commenters suddenly appear to tell us of their local school thats not been inspected for over a decade . . .

From memory, parents and stakeholders have also been able for a while to trigger an inspection if there were issues. So a few schools with happy parents, happy kids and good results that were outstanding when last inspected haven't apparently been inspected for a while. Outrageous!!! Because that's the real pressing issue in education these days . . .

Jonntyboy, agathamorse and hhhh like this.
  14. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Why? Let an organisation run by someone who isn't even a teacher harass people who are probably far more caring, literate and intelligent-Ofsted can seriously affect people's mental health and can cause good teachers to leave schools.
    I have never seen a school made better by such interference. Leave those teachers alone! See 'Stupid comments made at observations'-I very much doubt the observers even understand some of the subjects they are watching.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Not to mention schools given the O in which knife crime/terrorism are rife...but no, let's just harass decent teachers and upset children in schools which are doing a great job! Parents don't generally care about data/policies/paperwork as long as children are happy and learning well. I know this because I have been a TEACHER for many years (though no doubt I'd be richer if I'd spent my life telling those who do, how to teach...)

agathamorse likes this.
  16. install

install Star commenter

Ofsted should never have messed about with trying to change the meaning of words. 'Outstanding' is a one off and its almost impossible to be Outstanding all the time - unless you are putting pressure on people and burning them out. The very meaning of the word implies unique, special and unusual. It seems they have got these grades wrong anyway and naively thought an Outstanding label meant permanance, strength and longevity. Perhaps Ofsted just don't get how tough, challenging and tricky teaching can be because they are too far removed from the reality of it. Wouldn't a better system be for all inspectors to have a least 6 months every year teaching in a challening school to keep up their understanding ?

Remember 'satisfactory' ? Ofsted couldn't cope with that and Ofsted do struggle with words. And is it worth being Outstanding or aiming for it anyway with the fudged Performance Tables and sometimes a poorly driven agenda? Along with that is of course the added stress, pressure and fallout from maintaining the Outstanding grading.

Don't students matter more than Ofsted and Performance League Tables?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    agathamorse likes this.
  17. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

I've just started in such a school. 100% of students passed 5+ gcses with maths and english. 61% got 7s and above in all subjects and many other amazing results for another consecutive year. So, tell me what ofsted can do for us? Worry staff and cause stress? Coasting? no, just a case of knowing what works.

I suspect many schools would see improvements if ofsted were removed. This demand for inspections is ludicrous. Just leave us alone to teach.

agathamorse, install and JL48 like this.
  18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It does but it's also part of British law and not even the most swivel-eyed Brexiteer has proposed repealing it AFAIK.

PeterQuint likes this.
  19. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Yet.
    They don't want people to realise that brexit will allow an assault on their rights.

alexmurraybrown likes this.
  20. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Perhaps so, but the law has been passed that all EU laws transfer over into UK law the moment we leave.

This isn’t something they can do through the back door. They would need to introduce primary legislation and drive it through parliament. And you can bet there’s be a queue of people ready to make a big noise, and point out that this is EXACTLY what the country was warned about, and EXACTLY what brexiteers promised wouldn’t happen.

Rott Weiler likes this.