1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in a Nursery vs EY in School

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Leapyearbaby64, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Anyone here done both? Any pros or cons of being in a maintained nursery rather than EY in school? In a school at the moment, and considering a local vacancy.

2. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

I have done both, but these are just my experiences :)

Hours:
    Nursery: I worked 7:15 - 6pm. Some open earlier or close later.
    School: I started teaching 8:45 - 3:15 but would be in school for around 8 and leave after 4.

Nursery: Children came in from 7:30, so you're switched on the moment the first child arrives till the last one leaves.
    School: You have some time before and after to organise yourself/activities.

Pay/Holidays
    Nursery: Considerably lower from my experience, both as a Senior EYP & Early Years Teacher.
    Also open 51/52 weeks of the year, less time off.
    School: Better wage, mostly salary pay too from what I can gather. Term time only.

I found there was less pressure in the maintained nursery, but I did end up taking learning journeys/ planning home to do at the weekends as home time for the children was home time for the staff. I was also far more tired as I was working till 6pm. Long full days constantly switched on around the children.

I did like the fact that the children moved around in the maintained nursery, it was nice to see new faces and see children progress and move up. Having a set class in a school setting (F2, for example) can be easier for planning and does have its own pros.

I found that the EY in the school can often be excluded from big events like sports day or christmas assemblies etc, and that by being in a maintained nursery you're all included in your own mini-versions. I would suggest arranging a visit to the nursery and ask the staff on your visit for their pros and cons. We often had potential staff visit us and ask that question, so don't be afraid to ask!

Meganshaw96 likes this.
  3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Presumably a maintained nursery school will work the same hours as a school nursery class?

My only experience of a maintained nursery school is pre EYFS so not sure how relevant but at that time very little difference between separate nursery school and nursery class.

cinderella1 likes this.
  4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It looks like missrturner is confusing a maintained nursery with private nursery provision.

cinderella1 likes this.
  5. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

It would seem I am, very sorry! :oops:

InkyP likes this.
  6. studentms96

studentms96 New commenter

:) Hi, I am studying Early Childhood studies (in my first year) and I also work in a private day nursery part time alongside this, I am considering teaching EY in a school. Could you tell me a little more about your experience in EY in the school, for example average salary, class size etc..

missrturner likes this.
  7. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

In a school you get a contract as a school teacher, same pay and conditions like all primary teachers (very important: you work term time)