1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in a difficult environment

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by DilysPrice, Jun 9, 2011.

1. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

Hi al has anyone had to work in an environment which is fundamentally two faced?
    I've just returned to work after MAT leave and I'm finding all the women I worked with have changed? I know they've been saying things behind my back for a fact- I'm unsure of how to handle this, but they've also made my return very isolating. It's very difficult to articulate and I'm wondering whether it strikes a chord with anyone else? I could really do with some advice.

2. Hi, so sorry to hear that you're feeling isolated. You say that they have changed, is it a change in their attitude towards you? While it's tempting to think 'stuff the lot of them' you must be happy and content in your work environment.
    It can be very upetting when you hear that people say things about you, and difficult to deal with as often people deny hearing or saying anything. I have had a similar situation and spoke to one colleague, asking if I had upset her in any way as she seemed a little distant. This led to a chat about how she felt my life was moving on and hers wasn't. This was quite cathartic for both of us as she has progressed in her career and she felt my personal life was 'better'. Is there one person you could speak to quietly?
    I have also had to put up with conflicting advice from SMT - unfortunately when you work in any large establishment this is a problem from time to time.
    Take pleasure in your family and new arrival - they are the most important things in your life right now. Try not to let this get you down (I know this is far easier to say than do) and this will pass.
    Good luck. x

3. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

Thanks for your reply. I've had a word quiet with on and she's found it difficult to adjust to the changes I've put in place since my return- I have literally turned a few desks around. I've confronted another about her reaction to my return the reply was everything was fine. There's a load of furtive looks and silences- so nothing explicit but I feel I need to complain to someone.