1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in a Catholic Primary, will I need the CCRS?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by madeleinee_freemantle, Mar 30, 2018.

1. madeleinee_freemantle

madeleinee_freemantle New commenter

I am about to begin studying my PGCE in Primary Education this coming September and following that would be looking to move to Coventry with my OH. The schools that most entice me there and have the best ethos etc. are the Catholics primaries. Do I need the CCRS to be able to teach in a Catholic primary or is it simply preferred? I would happily start the course now, however, being a student it's costly. I also don't expect to have a great deal of time next year with PGCE and working part-time.

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.

2. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

It tends to be that as colleagues move up into more senior positions that you would need to be practising the faith or have relevant qualifications. For teaching posts, there is likely to be more flexibility as otherwise it would severely limit any school's options in recruitment.

Look at the job adverts on TES and see what they say. Generally, as long as you are sympathetic with the ethos, then apply if you like the school.

3. madeleinee_freemantle

madeleinee_freemantle New commenter

Thank you, I thought this may be the case and takes the pressure off a little for the next year or so.

Yes, I have raised an atheist but will be joining the Catholic faith in the next year or so all being well, so will be relatively sympathetic to the ethos.

4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Just say in your application that you would be willing to undertake the CCRS.
    Be very careful about what you imagine the ethos to be at a Catholic Primary. You won't know what it is really like until you work in one.