1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in a British school in Spain. Advice needed

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Mainwaring, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Did they cover the topic of 'tone' on your TEFL course?
    Just curious.

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

1. Nope. You will be working in a private school.
    2. A bit like asking what is the weather like in Europe. Some will, some will not. You will find out once you get there.
    3. See response 2.
    4. See response 2. Do you really think that a school that only pays its staff for 10 months of the year is going to pass a serious - or even semi-serious - inspection?
    5. We all started somewhere, and it seldom involved travelling to the country we wished to work in to apply. TESjobs is there for a reason.
    6. See response 2.
    For someone who has been working abroad for 6 years, your questions do seem a tad green.

3. Well, I wont go into as much detail as some of other replies (!) but just a couple of points to add. Firstly as someone that used to live in Valencia, I am surprised that you think it is much cheaper than the UK, seems to me that prices have rocketed up lately. Salaries are very poor in comparison and around 1500 is a pretty accurate amount. Yes, the weather is pretty good, but it sems to me that its going to become increasingly dificult to square cost of living with salary unless the schools suddenly start caring abouth their staff. (as likely as VLC banning petardos) Other point being that job security is pretty poor, but you can find some decent places, have a look around this forum if you want to know where to apply and more importantly where to avoid like the plague. And yes, TESJobs is the place to apply. Does what it says on the tin etc.....

4. Hi!
    I just read your thread and currently am asking all the same questions (although I didn't find some of the answers terribly helpful)! I was wondering if you have got any further with your investigation?
    I am also looking to go to Spain as I have decided that Latin America is too far, but I want to speak Spanish again. I heard about the 10 month contract game the other day and it alarmed me. Also, I'm confused as to how to know if a school is any good, although I have made many notes from this forum. I would be interested to know if you have found anything else out...
    Salary/accomodation is also biggy for me.
    Good luck with it all!

5. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

<ol>[*]The 10-month contract is widely enforced by "international" schools in Spain. It is blatantly illegal. If a school you apply to offers you one, it should be a sign that the school is not trustworthy and should be avoided.[*]Schools are, however, entitled to ask you to work every-other July for no extra pay in "summer school". There are horror stories of some organizations which run more than one school expecting teachers to work summer school in a different city to the one in which they are living, but I don't know how true these are. Any school which does this without providing extra "inconvenience pay" and accommodation should be avoided. [*]As far as I know, there are NO schools in Spain which offer accommodation as a part of the package, although there are one or two which offer a housing allowance that partially covers the cost.[*]It IS very difficult to assess whether a school is "any good" sight-unseen. All you can do is trawl the forum for warnings, and look for clues like the 10-month contract. If you have children, ask if they get free education at the school. If the anser is no, then the school is breaking the law there as well. Ask for the email addresses of a couple of current teachers and write to them. Check out some online renting agencies and see what flats are going for in the area. Information from the schools is sometimes rather inaccurate.[*]Pay is generally low in Spain; although I do know many teachers who live quite comfortably on their salaries, there isn't a great deal left over at the end of the month for saving and/or travelling... Some schools do pay1500 euros a month (or even less) and not many pay more than 2000 euros a month...</ol>

6. Thank you! This has been really helpful!

7. Yes, be careful, proceed with caution.

Some schools expect you to sign up for the paro for summer.

Don't be put off but research as much as you can

8. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

I wonder if this repugnant practice in certain Spanish schools, quite apart from its effect on recruitment and retention of teachers from outside the country, has any effect in terms of boosting the official unemployment figures to their current alarming level.
    Do teachers employed for ten months and parados in the summer, swell the numbers when the brainy bureaucrats compile their spreadsheets?

9. True. It also means that if you were made redundant you have used your quota of paro for the year and it affects your tax reimbursement.

10. I have had a phone interview for a school in Spain, to start in January.
    I was told that everyone starts on a ten month contract, but in my case, it would be a six month contract, and then a ten month contract for my second year.
    I read in another post that the ten month contracts are illegal. is this true?

11. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Read between the lines.
    A 6 month contract starting in January means you will not get paid over the summer break. Once you return you will then get a 10 month contract which will again mean no summer pay.
    In essence you are getting two 10 month contracts as far as the school is concerned because they are not paying you over the summer.
    I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

12. Would that be for a school currently advertising for January.......if so, was it CB or Eli's?
    Everyone at their school perhaps.....but not everyone joining a British school in Spain.......
    I don't think they are.....for the first two years.....but I think if they re-employ you on for a third year you become 'fijo' (permanent) automatically....often therefore you will not be re-employed for a third year......and they will tell you that they are not going to re-employ you around about the end of June....[​IMG]....and they would like you to understand that it is just business and nothing personal.......
    Of course, that has never happened to me guv.....a friend told me everything.......