1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working hours

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by notjustamummy, Jul 16, 2012.

1. HI there,
    I just wondered if anyone knows how many hours i should be expected to be in school on any given day.
    I am a PPA cover teacher and work 2 days a week. School starts at 8.45 and finishes at 3.15.
    I do a play duty once a week, a lunch time club, a before school plyground duty once a fortnight (the same as full time staff). I do not attend staff meetings.

2. That would depend how the school uses directed time as per published menu and the days you work

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you are on a contract, you work out your pro-rata DT hours which will be 506 hours per year for someone ona 0.4 contract.
    Total up your work hours, beginning with your earliest start (duty) and your latest finish time (usually later than the end of the pupil day). Do not include the lunchtime club if you do it as a voluntary session; include it if you are directed to run it.
    Lunchbreaks are unpaid so not included in DT hours.
    Other breaks are paid and you include the time in your tally whether or not you do a duty as you could be called on to do a duty at short notice or to undertake other work in that time. Add in 5 hours for each INSET attended.
    There is no set time for being on the premises, with the proviso that the earliest you can leave is probably 10 or 15 minutes after the pupil day ends and you can be directed to attend after school meetings and parents evenings etc (but only on your designated work days).
    If they want you to attend a meeting or parents evening or INSET on another school day, they have to pay you (annual salary divided by 195 for an additional day at work or annual salary divided by 975 for each extra hour for a part day) ... but only if you agree to attend. The full supply daily/hourly rate outlined gives you pro-rata holiday pay within the rate.