1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working hours for TAs

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Vics03, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Vics03

Vics03 New commenter

I am really excited to have been offered a TA role but it is starting to sound like the hours are going to be longer than the contracted hours and I’m not sure I’m going to manage it.
    In particular there is a daily all staff meeting at 8:10 although my contract is 8:30-3:30.
    I can see why it doesn’t look like a lot to the school but it will make a big difference for me and the family in the mornings and I’m not sure my little boy will cope with such a long day starting in breakfast club (I will have to leave home with him at 7:20am to get to the meeting and he is used to leaving home at 8am. He is going to a new school next year and his school day will finish 45 minutes later than he has been used to).

I haven’t worked in a school before and friends who have been TAs gave me the impression that unlike a teacher, if you’re a TA you don’t do much more than your contracted hours, so I’m really confused!

Before I had my children this type of thing didn’t matter but now all the logistics make everything so much harder!

I don’t want to sound like a clock watcher but I need to know what to expect.

Are my expectations wrong? How many hours do TAs tend to work nowadays over and above the contracted hours?

Thank you

2. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

Are you sure that all staff are expected to attend these meetings? We have one every friday and if you're there then great, if not they will give you a copy of the meeting points. Ta's don't get paid until 9am so aren't expected to be there.

You'll find lots of different ways that people work, some arrive early and stay late, some do their exact hours. Do whats best for you and your family.

3. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

We are the same as star girl. We have a “staff meeting” every Wednesday afternoon but it only really means teachers. TAs are not excluded but generally don’t come. Occasionally there is one that they think would be useful for TAs in which case some TAs come and then they claim overtime for doing it.

The only thing TAs have to do outside or contracted hours is twilight sessions to make up extra school holiday days but you get plenty of notice.

4. Vics03

Vics03 New commenter

Thanks for the replies. I have managed to speak to someone at the school and they have said the same as you both, I will just need to ask if there is anything I need to know from the briefing.
    Doesn’t feel ideal but if it is acceptable then I will have to get used to it! At least I’d don’t have to turn the job down! Phew
    Thanks again

5. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

That's good then. IF you ever get there early then you can attend. If you don't then like you say just get the information from someone. Glad you've got it sorted.. Good luck with it

Vics03 likes this.
  6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Our school is the same as other posters. We have one early morning briefing a week - TAs are always welcome and many do come, but it's understood that others have family commitments and are not able to make it. Notes are taken and are always in an accessible file - everyone who is not at the meeting is expected to read them.
    Staff meetings are generally only for teachers. Occasionally TAs are asked to attend - plenty of notice is given and the vast majority do manage to make arrangements for their children - it only happens once or twice a year.
    Best of luck with your new role!

Vics03 likes this.
  7. Vics03

Vics03 New commenter

Thanks guys :)
    Feeling much better now