1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Working Holiday and Supply Teaching Jobs/Tutoring

Discussion in 'Australia - Staffroom' started by dalizkarina, Mar 16, 2018.

  1. dalizkarina

    dalizkarina New commenter

    Hello Everyone

    I am 29 years old and I am thinking about applying for a Working Holiday Visa and moving to Australia by August/September of this year. I have a Bachelors degree in Teaching English to Speakers of other Languages but I am qualified to teach (QTS from the UK and I'm a qualified teacher in the United States) English, ESOL and Spanish.

    I don't know which city to move to, I just know that I want to live near the beach.

    Since I know I can only work for 6 months at a time, I know that that can be a problem so I am thinking this really carefully before I make my next move. I keep reading that supply teaching jobs are hard to come by, and I am afraid of running out of money.

    Will I be able to survive in Australia? Where would you recommend me to live? Is this a good idea?
  2. lottieeve7

    lottieeve7 New commenter

    You can get supply work while on a WHV but you have to register as a teacher in the state you wish to work. This can be time consuming and slow so you'd need to have a back up plan. Would you consider doing other work while you waited to get your teaching registration sorted? I work as a casual teacher, I'm no longer on a WHV but I have a young child so it suits me well at the moment. I have no trouble getting work but I live in a rural area with a low supply of teachers. Popular spots by the beach tend to be popular with Australian teachers so a willingness to move inland will increase you're chances of a job. Are you male or female? If you're female you could work as a home tutor, governess or aupair while you wait for your teaching registration to come through, it is a good way to save money and see a bit of the country before deciding on a place to settle.
  3. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    Can I ask are you British or American?

Share This Page