1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working girls

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pinkflipflop, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Did anyone watch this on BBC3 this week?
    Have only bee watching for 5 minutes and already want to slap the girl! 20 years old, living a champagne lifestyle thanks to mum, benefits and boyfriends and feels no need to have a job. One of the first things she said was 'I get help from the government with benefits....which I mostly spend on lipgloss'.

2. Did anyone watch this on BBC3 this week?
    Have only bee watching for 5 minutes and already want to slap the girl! 20 years old, living a champagne lifestyle thanks to mum, benefits and boyfriends and feels no need to have a job. One of the first things she said was 'I get help from the government with benefits....which I mostly spend on lipgloss'.

3. Glad I didn't have the opportunity to see it.
    I think I would have spit bile and caused the telly to blow a fuse.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Me too.
    I have real issues with the benefits culture in this country [​IMG]

5. Just watching is making me so angry! She lives in a really flash apartment and has just said, the benefits pay a bit towards it, but the rest my mum has to top up.
    Her mum told her she no longer wants to support her and she has just tried a massive guilt trip of 'if you don't support me you don't love me etc etc'.
    She thinks she is the 'cheryl cole' of her area.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

7. I would tell her Mum to stick to her guns. If she reckons she is fine on benefits, she needs a wake up call without Mum bailing her out all the time.
    She obviously has not been brought up to learn what "No" means.
    If my kids gave me a guilt trip like that, they would be up for a right bollicking.

8. aaaaaaaaargh, don't tell me anymore. I can't bear it.

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I'm glad I haven't seen this programme!
    I rely on benefits, and am grateful for the support the system gives me...and it really angers me to see people abusing it!
    If this girl is only 20, she will only be getting LHA for a bedsit - so her mum must be paying quite a bit in 'top-up'. Unless of course she has a child?
    And does she not have to attend the JC+ and have an advisor to ensure she is job-seeking?
    I have to jumo through all sorts of hoops to get my benefits (and am not complaining - well, not much.....don't get me started on ATOS!) and yet others, like this young girl seemingly, seem to get hand-outs indiscriminately.

10. Her apartment is more than just a bedsit!!!

I can't believe the way he has just spoken to the boss ofte missoni hotel, calling her a stupid b**ch and a f***ing idiot!

11. Msz

Would she have got a second chance after that if it hadn't been for TV?

12. I dont know.... But I think the hotel boss was extremely forgiving! I don't think I could have been...

13. Oh my! Just watched it on bbci player after reading this.
    She was soooo rude.
    However, it was very interesting to get glimpses as to why she behaves like she does. If she has a mum, why was she in care? Maybe her mum subsidises her from guilt. I thought it was most interesting that she was in hospital for 2 days and her mum never turned up until she was out.
    She's what, 20? She's been doing nowt for a year, so this means that she was working as a lapdancer aged 18 and under. Nice work for a teenager - not.
    Kaycie has hardly done well out of society and her "work" has given her a very skewed idea of what constitutes appropriate gender relations. I'm not surprised she is on the dole, feels no effort to pay a self contributing citizen and thinks that her only currency is her looks and the ability to please a man.
    Just like her great gran who was also abandoned by her parents, Kaycie is being forced into menial unrewarding work, where she toils long hours to provide services for the rich. Poor deluded Kaycie believed it was a privilege for a girl as lowly as her to give out free booze. I'm glad she's signed up for a business course. She could do quite well if she didn't swear so frequently.
    I also think that she wasn't doing that well out of benefits. Her flat was nice, yeah - but it's rented. She wore the same jeans and 4 tops in every episode. I think her clothes were quite inexpensive too.
    I will certainly be watching the next one.
    I expect we're supposed to feel angry with her, but I don't think she's a very representative example of a "layabout".

14. Msz

Not sure I've watched the same programme ...where did it say she had been in care?

15. She mentioned it a couple of times. I think it first came out when she was in the pub, meeting with Karina, the hotel manager and asked for a break.

16. So why is she expecting her mum to support her and laughing about those who go to work (as was suggested on this thread?)
    And why the guilt trip "if you don't support me you don't love me" etc.?
    I have to rely on your interpretations, not having seen the programme, nor being able to.

17. can you get bbci player?

18. No, I do not have a UK IP.

19. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

I have attempted to teach several like this as indeed willl have many in Senior High Schools. There are further programmes with similar stories to tell.

20. I find it so incredibly sad that these girls have absolutely no desire or drive to achieve anything in life! There are days when I really don't want to get up for work or I rant and rave about 'hating my job' and wish I could just lounge around all day....but actually on the whole, I enjoy working and achieving something.