1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working full time

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by anon1021, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I'm looking at going to work full time in September. I'm sorted with my youngest as she is at nursery. My son, however, is at school and I'm really struggling to know what to do with him.
    The likelyhood is that I'll need to be there by 8am and won't finish until 5 (depending on meetings etc). I can't be the only working mum so I was just wondering what everyone does about taking and picking up older ones from school?
    We do have some parental help, but it's not fair to put upon them every day so also looking for other options.
    Thanks

2. Hi all,
    I'm looking at going to work full time in September. I'm sorted with my youngest as she is at nursery. My son, however, is at school and I'm really struggling to know what to do with him.
    The likelyhood is that I'll need to be there by 8am and won't finish until 5 (depending on meetings etc). I can't be the only working mum so I was just wondering what everyone does about taking and picking up older ones from school?
    We do have some parental help, but it's not fair to put upon them every day so also looking for other options.
    Thanks

3. Childminder? I'd go for childminder over after school club, provided you find a good one who does drop off and pick up at your son's school.

4. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Does the school have a breakfast club? Mine does (primary) that starts 8am, we also run after school clubs every day until 5am. There is a charge for both obviously, I'm not sure how this compares to childminders' rates. It also depends if your child is very active and wants to be involved in different activities every day at clubs, or would be more happy in a home environment. I know mums who are happy with both arrnagements or a combination of the two (eg breakfast club then childminder in the afternoon). The school or your local children's centre should be able to provide a list of reputable childminders x

5. Thank you both!
    I know the school does run a breakfast club - will have to look into after school clubs to see if there's anything appropriate for him. I had thought of childminders too but I do prefer these options. We might even be able to combine after school clubs with parents, which would be better.
    Thanks for the ideas!

6. I've used all sorts of childcare. My parents used todrop off and pick up my eldest every day and loved spending time with her. Your parents might even LIKE looking after your ds every day. We then moved and have used 2 different breakfast/after school clubs (because we moved twice), my daughter liked both of them, but preferred the slightlysmaller one as she didn't feel under so much pressure to join in with activities she wasn't interested in.
    Now my eldest doesn't need childcare as she's at secondary school and we have a CM for my youngest. She's not quite 2 yet so it's a while til she'll go to school but my plan is to keep her with the same CM when she does.

7. my friend's a single parent in a similar position. she drops her daughter off at the breakfast club at 8am and then collects her from the after school club at 5.30pm. it's £50 a week for the 10 sessions.