1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working full time, Masters dissertation and pregnant.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by c-parris, Oct 22, 2015.

1. c-parris

c-parris New commenter

Hi all,

Has anyone completed the dissertation component of the MA Education while pregnant and working full time? Submission is at the end of April and baby is due in the middle of May. For the last the last 6 weeks I have not done any more work on the masters as I have been feeling exhausted and having occasional morning sickness. I feel like I am only just about managing to turn up to work to teach and complete my second in department duties. Has anyone been in this position and made through the other side? Will the university (UWE) allow any form of extension on the hand in date?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Many thanks

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I guess there will be folk out there who've managed to juggle it all..

If it's any encouragement the major exhaustion thing usually wears off as does the sickness :)

It might be worth asking the university… but my feeling is that they won't because they have senate/ examination/ marking deadlines to meet post submission. I guess you *could* try asking for a years deferment if that might help… I think I'd speak to your course tutor or supervisor and gauge their feeling now so you can plan in advance whether you need to meet that deadline and pace yourself or whether you have the liberty of time.

3. Psychteach2015

Psychteach2015 New commenter

Yes I did, in 2008. (Currently pregnant with my 3rd). My submission was September though and I was due in November and so I did most of my writing up through the Summer holidays when I could rest when I needed to.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

It will depend upon the procedures of the particular university. It may accept extensions or it may require deferral. Even if you don't make it to relevant the Exam Board, it is the sort of thing that may be able to be sorted via Chair's action (or virtual meeting of a specially convened board). It will depend on so speak with somebody at UWE now.