1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

working environment

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Erin_Rhys, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Erin_Rhys

Erin_Rhys Occasional commenter

Every day is so depressing - the old building is uninviting, like something from the sixties or older, hardly ever seen a lick of paint, carpets (if any) are soiled, rotting, threadbare, lights half working - rarely replaced, heating faulty ineffective.

Where else apart from education, puts up with conditions like this?

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

I've seen a few pretty awful hospitals and quite a few residential homes for the elderly.

3. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

As @Twinklefoottoe said on another thread: "My school is horrible, grotty. The building is run down. The windows are rotting. The carpets smell bad and are threadbare in places. The pealing paint in most rooms reminds me of nicotine-stained walls in a grim pub in the wrong part of town. Budgets are so tight now that it's getting worse. Books are out-of-date. Computers are slow. Support staff aren't replaced. Light bulbs aren't replaced quickly."

I could add to this doors that are partially off their hinges and most of others require a knack to open them; by the state of the corridors and rooms it's obvious that the school skimps on cleaning, and you have to bring your own bog roll!

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Rumour has it that this is the state of many married quarters in the military.....

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I suspect a fair few workplaces outside teaching are as described in the OP.

Not defending it, just saying.

6. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Having a bright new shiny building doesn't necessarily make things better.......

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Many Academies are bright, new and shiny.

But many staff are not happy there . . .

Having said that, i must agree that the working conditions in many schools can be grim. Whenever teachers come to TES Towers and compliment us on the quality of the ladies, I think But they are just ordinary lavatories, nothing special. Like John Lewis. How sad that teachers are used to something so below par . . .

Best wishes

8. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I know I worked in one!

9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Often, the state of the working environment shows how much the employer values the employee. This is not always the case - a company in financial difficulties (which I suppose applies to many schools) cannot lavish as much on the workplace facilities as a company doing well. I would guess there must be a good number of companies where the management and shareholders are well rewarded but the workforce tolerate grim conditions.

Keynesian P thinks that investment in school buildings would boost the economy by generating extra income for paint & brush manufacturers (many of whom are still UK based) and decorators and much of this growth would come back to the economy through taxation. Austerigon thinks this is bunkum and that we can't buy any more paint until we have paid our debts and that the decorators can starve until the debts are paid back. We'll give some of them "work experience" to keep them in practice until that happens.

it's often interesting to compare the head's office and the management suite to the broader working conditions.

As others have pointed out - new buildings doesn't make for happy working, but maybe it's better to be dry and miserable than cold, wet and miserable.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I was invited to have air-con put in my office. I refused on the grounds that we couldn't afford to put it in every classroom.

I did have it installed in the staffroom, however. And controlled bys taff, not centrally, so they could choose to have it as cold as they liked.

Best wishes

11. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Getting rock bottom for a school is having rooms that cannot be used as the roof leaks. I worked in one school that was part of an amalgamation and only kept open until four year groups of girls had worked their way through. Nothing was spent on maintaining the building and in some of the rooms, especially in the winter months, the ceiling corners had mould heading for the floor, like organic, flock wallpaper.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My current school is a bit like that - it just looks dirty and unkempt. Some of our rooms are just horrible although we have a lovely library and decent IT facilities.

Parents commented on the scruffiness of the buildings on open evening - not good.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Our school is a bit like a Homes Under the Hammer school, just after it has been bought.
    Looks scruffy and dirty, and heating is mad, but there are plans in place to improve things. Use your imagination and the buildings definitely have potential. (Well some of them do!)

Best/happiest place I've worked in years though.