1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working during the 6 weeks holidays

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by MissB30, May 26, 2018.

1. MissB30

MissB30 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    Hope you’re enjoying your well-earned weekend!!:)
    Just wondering if anyone has any good advice on earning money during the 6 weeks summer holidays? I’m a supply teacher and don’t really want the hassle of finding a job, as I’ll be going back to supply in September. I’m just worried about having no money during that month of August :confused::(
    Thank you!
    Miss B

artemis81 and pepper5 like this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi and welcome to the forum

If you do a search on this site, you may find previous threads about this topic. Some ideas for you are:

House sitting
    Working through agencies in offices, cleaning, catering
    Working day to day supply through agencies in nurseries
    You can register with your local authority to be a children's chaperone
    Look online for summer jobs in your area

Hope this is some help.

JohnJCazorla and tonymars like this.
  3. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

MissB30 I am looking to do some warehouse or production work over the holidays, I won't tell them I am returning to supply in September, but pretend that I am looking for long-term work in the warehouse or production or office, the work is not ideal, but it puts bread on the table and helps to pay the bills.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. Machito

Machito New commenter

You can work as a TEFL teacher during July and probably August. So you don't have a TEFL qualification or experience - it doesn't matter. Being a qualified primary or secondary teacher will be enough because in July the demand for TEFL teachers exceeds the supply and most companies are flexible about their requirements. The majority of posts are residential so depending on where you live, you may have to work away from home. Also the money is not all that (I really can't recall what the typical wages are but it doesn't compare to supply).

I've done it plenty of times and it can be a laugh plus I've met some great people who I'm still friends with today. (I've also met some complete and utter ************ but I won't dwell on that.) Because the students are visiting the UK for a few weeks you need to concentrate mostly on spoken English, as they generally don't have the opportunity to speak with a native speaker in their classes back home. The schools always provide some sort of curriculum and resources, and you can normally do your own activities too.

This site https://www.tefl.com/job-seeker/search.html will have plenty of opportunities for July and also some for August. Obviously you will have to compare wages, locations and how much work is available to find the best option for you, and when you contact a company you will have to make out that teaching TEFL is something you have always wanted to do and/or already done. Remember that in July there are so many summer schools taking place that there are not really enough teachers.

If you prefer you could work as an activity leader instead, meaning you'll be doing games etc all day rather than teaching English. Same companies as above but the wages are a little lower.

If you want more info including recommendations for the best company I have worked for then PM me.

JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  5. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

I started a thread abo
    ut this a few weeks back.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I used to sign up with temping agencies for work - mainly office work but occasionally got other stuff as well.

Happyregardless and pepper5 like this.
  7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Do you work through an agency? If you do is it purely a teaching agency or does it cover many areas of employment (Mine does). Perhaps they can find you something if you tell them you are looking.

les25paul and pepper5 like this.
  8. MissB30

MissB30 New commenter

Hi,
    Thank you for the responses! I realised after I had posted that a simple google search would directed me to old posts on here about the same topic! So sorry for repeating what has already been asked :D

@blazer yes I work through an education agency and I emailed them on Friday asking if they provide work during the holidays such as day nursery/crèche work as they are open all year, but I had no response.

I am thinking about regular temping agencies however I’ve never worked in an office and I’m a bit scared from stepping out of my comfort zone of the classroom and retail which I did for years! Really don’t want to go back there for obvious reasons :p

I have been listing some of my old stuff on eBay recently and it’s quite enjoyable so I may do more of that; however it can be a bit frustrating waiting for things to sell.

Ahh well, whatever will be, will be! I’m sure I’ll find something to keep me occupied! :)
    Thanks for your replies! X

artemis81 and pepper5 like this.
  9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi MissB30

Working in an office isn't that difficult. Mainly you would be answering the phone, taking messages and filing. If you tell the agency that you haven't done it before, they would find you something suitable - not throw you into the deep end.

Catering might be an option. Perhaps serving at weddings or similar.

10. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Unfortunately many employers (including temping agencies) don't want someone for a short period like six weeks. But what you can do (which is what I did) is write off September (and end of July) for any supply work when there is very little anyway. That way you can available for up to three months making you more attractive as an employee.

But no longer or you might run the risk of needing to re-register.

agathamorse, gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  11. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

This is and lack of proper pension is what I hate about supply teaching. All our colleagues enjoy their six week break while we have to desperately scrabble around for bits of work. Sometimes we have a good year and have enough put by to take summer off. However, if, like me, it's been sporadic there will be little in the savings pot for summer.

I have a small business on the side that grew from my hobby, so i'll be doing that but this year I'm determined to take a few weeks off and do absolutely nothing.

I am with an agency that puts part of my wage towards holiday pay but even if you don't take any for half terms etc it won't cover summer.

agathamorse and gingerhobo48 like this.
  12. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

You probably know, @Oldfashioned, but just in case you weren't aware, make sure you take that portion of your wages the agency has put to one side before the end of the tax year or you could lose it.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Yes this is an abhorrent practise of agencies. You earn it but have to go out of your way to claim it.