1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working Conditions-HELP

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by gwillymthepablo, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Hi,I hope somebody has some advice for me on this.

I've just been given my new timetable for the next academic year. My classroom has been taken off me & given to a part time member of staff,during the course of the week I now teach in 10 different classrooms. On a Monday I'm in 3 different rooms,on a Tuesday 4 rooms & on a Friday 5 lessons in 5 different rooms!

The NASUWT local offices don't open until Wednesday but I would appreciate any advice,my line manager appears to have done all that she can. Do I speak to the head and risk rocking the boat? Or is this common place in other secondary schools? It certainly isn't at ours and I feel harshly treated.

Cheers all

2. Hi,I hope somebody has some advice for me on this.

I've just been given my new timetable for the next academic year. My classroom has been taken off me & given to a part time member of staff,during the course of the week I now teach in 10 different classrooms. On a Monday I'm in 3 different rooms,on a Tuesday 4 rooms & on a Friday 5 lessons in 5 different rooms!

The NASUWT local offices don't open until Wednesday but I would appreciate any advice,my line manager appears to have done all that she can. Do I speak to the head and risk rocking the boat? Or is this common place in other secondary schools? It certainly isn't at ours and I feel harshly treated.

Cheers all

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Unfortunately, when someone ends up without a room, they often just get bunged into rooms at random. I don't think your union will be able to help: there's no rule on this, and the school that I attended used to have no "ownership" of rooms, so most teachers moved every (40 minute) lesson. I think that's unusual nowadays: it does make it harder to use a range of resources. I think improving the situation boils down to doing a bit of problem solving, yourself if nobody else is willing to.
    Things to try:
    Perhaps, within your department, others mght be wiilling to move out with one group or for one afternoon to enable you to at least be based within the department. One year I remember us working a deal whereby those with A-level classes went elsewhere, to enable others to use their rooms, and this coud mean that the nomad was entirely timetabled in the department, with most groups in the same room for all three lessons. The A-level lessons required fewer resources, and there would be less of a problem if the teacher was late getting there.
    Decide whether it would be more useful to you to have all your lessons with a particular group in the same room, or all of a morning in the same room or neighbouring rooms. People probably have different preferences on this. Get hold of the free rooms timetable, and look for yourself to see if you could improve things. You might even look at the whole timetable - you might then spot that although room 15 is only free for two out of your three year 9 lessons, the person using it in the other lesson is an SMT member who doesn't have a base either, and might be equally happy with the room you'd been allocated.
    Once you've done any optimising you can (and get your line manager to fight your corner on any swaps that other people can do to make your life easier), negotiate some cupboard/shelf space in the rooms you are using regularly. Also get equipment sorted - we used to issue ITTs with a tool box containing board pens, rubber, pencils, rulers, spare exercise books, etc: all those bits that you'd always have to hand in your own room. If you have some secure storage in some rooms then you may be able to keep a stash there.