1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working conditions and career opportunites for women

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Mar 31, 2011.

1. I have witnessed it - but personally, I have always been supported by other females (apart from one bi.atch, but that was personal).
    I have more often had to battle men who think I am just...a woman!
    And I have had the usual explanations to give (which I now refuse to offer). If I work fewer hours, I am a mother hen, if I work more hours, I am a bad mother.
    I doubt any man has ever been subjected to that stupid prejudice.

2. There's your barrier. Paternity leave won't solve long term childcare issues. Besides, I still want to know what you mean by hinderances - barriers to getting a job or barriers to career progression?

3. I wouldn't say only female colleagues are thorns in the side. Many of my female colleagues (team members usually) have been reliable towers of strength. Jealous (often ineffective?) men can also make life difficult for women bosses if they are that way inclined.

4. Both.
    Getting a job - that would involve job choice, I suppose. So do you think women tend to choose "lower" jobs? (can you follow me? Tell me if I am making no sense). If this is the case, is there a way to encourage them to aim higher? Do they want to? Do they have the opportunity to?
    Do you think women are conditioned to have less ambition? Or to curb their ambition?
    Also I was thinking along the lines of career dip if you do have time off for child rearing and how difficult the return to work can be.
    And also career progression - with or without children - why is it that most top management jobs are still occupied by men?
    Just throwing ideas into the arena, as a kind of brainstorming session!
    It is NOT meant to be a men bashing session!!!

5. I think the question is too big if you actually want to achieve something with your group. You have a reasonable list of possible barriers there but you need to look at which ones you actually have control of or influence over.

6. There was a thread on here (or was it Opinion?) not that long ago about women of child-bearing age not being given jobs for fear they'd go off, squeeze one out, and then expect maternity pay. I'm afraid I can't remember the thread title or who posted it, but it referred to someone they knew on an interview panel actually stating that's why they didn't give certain (female, obv.) candidates the job.
    And then there's the very common practise of sacking/making redundant women who are pregnant. Happens all the time.

7. Hence the reason for my post - I am trying to gather ideas in order to come up with a "core" of important issues.
    I think otherwise, the issue is too broad and the danger is that nothing can be tackled.

8. I can vaguely recollect it. I think it may have been MAJ who made that point?
    Really? Is that possible in the UK? It is illegal in Germany. The committee is international, so that kind of info is useful, thanks.

9. Well, it's not legal here, but it still happens. Especially for women who happen to be on renewable contracts.
    It happened to me (a non-teaching position) and when I went to CAB, I was told it's rife.

10. There's no point if your "core" ends up full of things you can't do anything about. It's hard to say what's important or relevant without the context. Social attitudes are certainly an issue, employment practice another, childcare another, the inevitable interruption that comes with having children yet another. Which of these are within your remit?

11. Yup. Although I have heard that paternity leave is changing to become interchangeable with maternity leave if the father rather than mother wishes to be the primary carer. If there was as much a risk of a man taking time off due to children as a woman then I imagine, with time, this practice would change accordingly.

12. I heard that too.

13. This is why I am gathering ideas, airy. So I can ascertain where things can be influenced and where not.
    My remit is to look into general issues and see how they are applicable to females within our company. Then to look at how these issues are addressed and/or if they can be addressed (we obviously cannot change laws, but we can address company policy and we can campaign for employment law if need be).
    So in order to see what issues are important - I am gathering ideas! We will all be pooling these ideas and then will assess which ones we can address and which not (the committee also involves men, btw!.Obviously, each national company will be subject to the relevant national laws/regulations, etc.

14. ah, we have that here already.
    It is still normally the mother who takes maternity leave, as the idea is still in some heads that men will then take a career dip.
    See!

15. If your remit covers a variety of countries, perhaps a good starting point would be looking at legislation from different countries and gathering the best ideas from each.

16. Blinkin eck.
    Once you have any contract here and are pregnant, you cannot be fired!

17. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

There' still a number of stereotypes around about men and women (i.e. men are the breadwinners, women spend it!). Those stereotypes have to be bashed on the head before women can be taken seriously in the workplace.

18. How do you bash them on the head?

19. Not so much being fired as contracts not being renewed.

20. Which is what we are doing. But we are also trying to gather ideas in general, as well.