1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working below GCSE

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by andylongfield, Jul 15, 2019.

1. andylongfield

andylongfield New commenter

In the past we've done OCR entry level which was essentially 4 tests to get the qualification. Now it's got a coursework type element which we can't stand. What do other people do for students who are at risk of not getting a grade 1, so that they leave the school with something for their 11 years studying maths? We know they don't count to progress 8 or attainment 8, but this is so the students have something.

2. chocolateinuk

chocolateinuk New commenter

Where I am working, the students do this instead: https://qualifications.pearson.com/...awards-in-mathematics/number-and-measure.html

They are doing the level 1 qualification.

3. Marijke

Marijke New commenter

I am in special education and all our students do Entry Level maths . We do the Pearson Edexcel one, which is one core maths paper and one task per Entry Level. You have 3 different sets to do with the kids if they don't have enough marks to pass and you want to try again after a few months (and 3 different levels per set).
    Some of our students go on to GCSE after they have achieved Entry Level 3, some of our more able students do both at the same time. I found they need a bit of practice before they can do the problem solving task.
    I start them in Y9 with the Entry 1 assessments and move them up if and when possible.
    Hope this helps.

4. jcstev

jcstev New commenter

We use AQA entry level. There are 8 units, each of which can be assessed using a test supplied by AQA (which we do) or a teacher designed task. Students can have three goes at each test; the tests cover Entry 1 to 3 in one test (higher marks = higher level).

5. andylongfield

andylongfield New commenter

Cheers for this. When I first read AQA I didn't realise it can all be done through tests. Think we'll start AQA in September.