1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working at at IB school with no experience in one

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by summlard, Nov 18, 2019.

1. summlard

summlard New commenter

Hi. I’ve been offered an interview in an IB school but have never worked in one.

does anyone have any tips in securing the position? Thnaks

2. Morena123

Morena123 New commenter

Read up on the IB as much as possible! If you're talking Diploma then you should be aware of the breadth of subjects students are required to take and the core (CAS, TOK, EE). Google is your friend!

Whether it's a fully IB school or you are applying for a PYP/MYP/DP role, you should be aware of the IB Learner Profiles. Try to gauge from the school website how they incorporate these into school life.

If they are interviewing you they must know from your CV that you aren't experienced with the IB but they are still keen on you, so they are open-minded. Show that you are interested in the IB, have done some research, are keen to learn more etc. You look forward to the challenge of getting stuck into a new curriculum, especially one that is so well-regarded/academically rigorous/broad/holistic etc.

Other than that, prepare as you would for any interview, with as much knowledge of the school as possible. Show enthusiasm and a positive attitude.

Good luck!

Kartoshka and Mr_Frosty like this.
  3. summlard

summlard New commenter

Thank you!

4. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

AS Morena says it would help if you mentioned which of the four programmes you would be teaching. If it is the Diploma, also look at the study guides for your subject and the coursework requirements (Internal Assessments) and past papers/markschemes. While their is not a huge difference between A levels and DP in terms of subject knowledge it would help if you showed some understanding of the assessment process, which is somewhat different.

One of the things I have found frustrating over the years as a recruiter is that many candidates don't even bother to read the documentation for their subject on the IBO website!

PS: to get on an old hobby horse of mine once again; their is no such thing as an IB school, their are only schools that are authorised to offer one or more of the four IB programmes. It is in many ways just an exam board +. You would not describe a UK school as an AQA school or an Edexcel school would you?

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Nope, not quite true. There is the "IB World School" as an entity and the "IB school". Is the IB just an exam board? Well there are assessments and exams but it is much more than that. If a school doesn't embrace the philosophy of the IB, it shouldn't really bother with it as there are far cheaper and equally as valid examination systems around.

6. makhnovite

Nope not quite true either Karvol, the IB World School is not really an entity, it's a title that can be used once you are authorised (in fact it used to be you could use it while still a candidate school but that may have changed). And as the cynics amongst us know you can be authorised without being a true believer. The IBO has become a little too fond of the fees!

7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

You mean the non-profit educational organisation that is called the IB. So what are they doing with these "fees" ?

8. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

For one thing, sponsoring an ultra low cost masters degree program.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  9. makhnovite

Paying for jollies for all sorts of rogues, charlatans, quacks and mountebanks in 5* hotels in various parts of the world. Some of whom reside in Africa I hear! :rolleyes:

10. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Have you been drinking the halo polish again ?????? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

11. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Just to get back on track here. Many moons ago I was plucked from the obscurity of A-Level and put to teaching IB, both HL and SL plus CAS and the Extended Essay. I wasn't particularly worried because I didn't know that I had to be. Within a year I had been sent on the basic course which wasn't necessarily that helpful in regard to teaching my subject but was priceless in terms of making contacts with other teachers, new and old, of my subject, plus the trainers. As the years have gone by I am still in touch with many of them and we still help each other out. I think the main thing for you to do is to read up on the rudiments of the program so that you can differentiate between HL and SL,( if you are a SS teacher) have a broad idea of how it runs ( MYP or PYP) and, above all show willing. I love the IB and remember once in China when I was offered a job mainly on the back of a spirited defence which I put up against a crusty old UK Public School governor who demanded to know why I thought IB was better prep that A-Level for university entrance. ( That however, is for another thread) I think the bottom line is that they think you are worth interviewing, so go the extra mile in order to learn about the program and it might just swing it your way.....

Good Luck,

Perce

Powergnome3 likes this.
  12. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

@Morena123 @makhnovite
    I am interested in learning more about IB in the primary years, so I'm wondering if you can explain a bit more about the IB programmes and the difference between a fully IB school and one offering, for example, PYP and MYP roles? TIA.

13. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Saddened to be left off this illustrious list............

dumbbells66 likes this.
  14. makhnovite

Hi Kartoshka - sent you a conversation

15. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

Not really. You could describe a UK as.a GCSE/A level school. That would be similar to describing somewhere as an IB school.

I do think there is clear philosophy to a school running IB though whereas philosophy of schools running GCSE/A level can vary much more.

yasf likes this.
  16. summlard

summlard New commenter

Contrary to my initial concerns, it barely got mentioned in the interview and I got the job! Woo.

looking forward to it!

mermy likes this.
  17. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

In my first IB job, I got the job without knowing it existed. Eight years, two schools later and ££££ of PD's later....There are "IB" teachers who would better suit the British and AP curriculums, and of course there are British and AP teachers who are already and unconsciously teaches like "IB" teachers.

The best ones are the Australians and NZ teachers. I continue to meet many, and to them, privately or publicly educated; all the other things such as Service/CAS and learning different languages was pretty much a school norm to them. They get IB jobs without any experience.

18. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Not really the same - especially if the school runs PYP / MYP. Admittedly many British schools treat the IB DP like another exam, and the IB like another exam board, but that isn't really an accurate portrayal.

dumbbells66 likes this.