1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

working as supply teacher in an academy

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by historygrump, Mar 31, 2011.

1. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

I have only done work in one academy and it was still going through the transition face, but I know that they have introduced a rota for teachers to do detention and the pay was less then normal, and the teachers work longer hours. I suspect that many will seek to use more CS in the future to cover lessons, instead of teachers and even teach lessons on a more permanent basis, because they do not have to abide by the national agreements, like maintained schools.

2. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

My friend works for an academy and she tells me it is common knowledge that they do not use supplies. She said recently that they were even told to use student teachers as much as possible to help out - as well as cover supervisors too! Scarey when many schools are considering going down that academy route.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I was sent to an Academy by my LA agency and agreed to go back the next day.
    I then had problems locating my on-line timesheet and was eventually told that as it was an Academy, I was being paid by the private agency that runs the admin for the LA agency.
    They did not tell me it was the private agency (with which I was not registered!) that was booking me; in fact, they clearly identified themselves as the LA agency office. They explained that Academies didn't have to use their LA option.
    The used my LA agency CRB to authorise my employment there as I've never complaeted a CRB for the private agency parent company.