1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working as an unqualified teacher if you have QTS

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by JickJack, Feb 17, 2020.

1. JickJack

JickJack New commenter

I’m trying to find the answer to this question but it doesn’t seem clear cut.....as a qualified teacher, is it possible to take a job on the unqualified teacher pay scale?

I’m assuming so, in that a teacher can be employed as a TA, but I’ve read that as a qualified teacher you can’t be paid as an unqualified one.

Does anyone know anything about this please? Thanks in advance.

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

As unqualified teacher means someone who has not passed their QTS then no, you could not be employed as an unqualified teacher. It would go against their pay policy.

Pomza likes this.
  3. JickJack

JickJack New commenter

Ah, thank you for that. Would it be worth applying anyway and discussing at interview do you think?

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

It's always worth applying, if you like the look of the job. If they don't like the look of you (because you're overqualified, or any other reason), they will just decline to interview you.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Why would you want to work for less pay?
    And why would a school want an unqualified teacher over a qualifield one?

MissGeorgi and agathamorse like this.
  6. JickJack

JickJack New commenter

I'm trying to work that out.....I've been out of teaching a few years and this seems a good way back in rather than being a TA.

7. MrLW1

MrLW1 New commenter

I've seen jobs advertised recently at top private schools that state they could consider highly qualified graduates and not just those with QTS. Not saying this is good or bad just an observation.

Pomza likes this.
  8. JickJack

JickJack New commenter

One of the benefits is that as an UNqT you can join the teachers pension scheme which isn't an option as a supply teacher or TA. So for me trying to get back into teaching, this could be one way of doing it whilst being able to restart my pension. That said, I'm aware that I'm selling myself short.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I have worked with someone who played cello for a renowned orchestra and then, after an accident, could no longer play at that level. However, she had been teaching privately for some years and so decided that being a music teacher in an excellent prep school would be a good next step.

I've also worked with someone who played netball for England and once she retired, started coaching netball teams. Then wanted more money than this paid, so took a post teaching girls' games in a very good public school.

Both are unqualified teachers, but are the sort of reason top independents don't always want QTS.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. MrLW1

MrLW1 New commenter

The posts I regularly see are in core academic subjects rather than creative subjects, music or sport.

I've always thought that if free schools and academies can be criticised for employing unqualified teachers, then so should private schools.

11. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Are they advertising for an unqualified teacher specifically? My understanding was that the unqualified teacher pay scale was for those doing a teacher's job who were not formally qualified, not for people employed to do something different. It used to be a rule that they could only be employed if there were no suitable qualified candidates, although that rule has gone now, I think.

12. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

You could. If they employed you they would have to pay you as a qualified teacher though.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Most decent HR teams will not allow someone to be ruled out because they are over qualified. They would need a sound judgement to show that the person was not suitably based on the job discussions else they could be advised of age discrimination. As a qualified teacher would be able to meet the needs required of an unqualified one they'd struggle in my opinion..

agathamorse likes this.