1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working as a tutor but feel horribly out of my depth!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by dc88, May 8, 2011.

1. When you consider the going rate for private tuition is about £20-30, it may be worth rethinking your options.

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/primary/primaryframework/literacyframework

The above link will give you the literacy framework for KS1/2 children, and some resources to aid your teaching.

2. Google chrome stole my paragraphs.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Someone is taking you for a ride and is also taking the parents for a ride. Private tuition is £20 - £30 an hour. You are getting minimum wage and are expected to use your spare time to plan?
    You need to know why your children are there. Are they struggling or do their parents want to push them for good grades? Reading, spelling or writing. The framework site has a lot of resources on for helping in these areas.
    But I say it again - both you and the parents are being taken for a ride.

4. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Occasional commenter

I do not want to pry but it sounds as if you are working in a third world country, creynol.

Barbados, which is where I am now retired but I have been here for fifteen years and have done some part-time work, claims to be the most developed of the developing countries. I do not think there is minimum wage legislation yet. Both my wife (she is a retired nurse who has also done some P/T nursing here) have experienced exactly what you describe, she in private nursing homes, myself in small private schools.

Focus on the children, identify their needs as YOU see them, and go from there. However, do not commit yourself 24/7, which is easily done!

5. Mathsteach2

I have been told by TES to put a code in front of each para, dc88. "" without the speech marks, of course.

6. Mathsteach2

Oops, that didn't work! I hate TES!

7. Thank you for your comments and advice :)
    I just want to do my best for my students, I really feel for the kids as some are very behind and struggling. But the boss has no notion of ability (he puts the kids in year groups) so yesterday I had three yr3s, one who was struggling (suspected dyslexia), one who was very ahead (g&t at school) and one who has hearing difficulties so they find it hard to keep up. How do you plan an hours session with this, bearing in mind the kids are there to get extra help, and I'm expected just to teach one lesson for all of them! Agh! I know teachers have 30 kids in a class, but the parents are paying for this.

At the moment I'm just trying to get as much experience as poss them I'm out of there :)

8. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Is this in the UK and is it legal?
    No offence to you, but if it's legal, it shouldn't be. I may have a science degree, but wouldn't do operations on people because I am not a doctor-having an English degree does not mean you can teach. I am not saying you could not become a good teacher or tutor with training, but as you say, as things stand, you don't really know what to do, so you shouldn't be planning lessons without support. Even newly qualified teachers do not (or should not) plan full SOWs without guidance from more experienced teachers.