1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working as a teacher but with Teaching Assistant contract

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by KaneKose, Jun 5, 2017.

1. KaneKose

KaneKose New commenter

Hi everyone

This is my first post to the TES community which I am happy to be part of.

A while ago I started working as a Teaching Assistant in a private SEN school. The role was permanent and I signed a contract with the school. After some time I got my QTS and I became a teacher in that school, different responsibilities, different salary etc.
    The interesting part is that when I jumped from TA to teacher the school never gave me a new contract specific for the role of teacher. I just signed a paper that was indicating the change of my salary.

I am not considering finding a job in a different school and I was wondering what would be my notice period? In general TAs has shorter notice period from teachers. In my case my notice period is this of a TA since this is the only contract I have with the school?

Thanks in advance

Kane

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

You need to speak to your HR department and find out really. You don't need to mention that you are looking for another job, just that you would like to know what your terms and conditions are seeing as you didn't sign a new contract when you changed jobs. A perfectly fair question to ask.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There's no way anyone here could know what your notice period is. There's no standard rule for private schools, they can do what they like (although one term for teachers is common). You will have to ask your HR person.

Generally speaking there's no obligation for a new contract to be issued when you change role with the same employer, although there should have been some letter confirming the change and noting any other differences in employment terms. As you have, in practice, agreed to work as a teacher - by doing the work of a teacher and being paid on their teachers' payscale - you would find it difficult to argue that teachers' notice periods didn't apply to you. If that's the argument you want to make you need to get your union to review all your paperwork.