1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

working as a HLTA?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by delma, Mar 17, 2011.

1. delma

delma New commenter

I was looking for some advice. I'm a qualified teacher who has fallen foul of the 16month supply limit. I have recently been offered some work covering classes in a local school. They know my situation and have suggested that I will be able to work as a HLTA. I won't be planning any lessons, just delivering them. Is this a feasible loophole? Or am I not allowed to do this either?
    If someone could shed some light on this, it'd be much appreciated.

2. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

As I understand it, yes you can, because the 16-month induction rule about working in schools only applies to teachers, it does not apply to FE qualified teachers, instructors, cover supervisors, HLTA's and TA's who can teach (and in many cases without any teacher training) without apparently any restrictions.But as you will be classified as an HLTA, this may allow you to teach as an HLTA, although the government says this should not occur (it shows how much the HT's take of the Department of Education), because HLTA should only work with small groups of children apparently and not teach whole classes. This is the daft and absurd situation about the English educational system, if you are a qualified teacher, but have not done an induction within 16-months of commencing any teaching work, you cannot teach until you find a permanentpost to do an induction. But if have no training or are classified as anything but a teacher you can.

3. Yes you will be able to work as a HLTA without affecting your induction limit as there are no restrictions or necessity to have QTS to be a HLTA.
    It is an absurd system but if this opportunity means you get paid work and more experience then I would go for it.
    Good luck with finding a teaching job - I do think the 16 month limit should be extended to 5 years given the current job climate.