1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working as a head in an indie

Discussion in 'Independent' started by digoryvenn, Sep 21, 2016.

1. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Established commenter

In a few years, I am thinking of applying for a headship in an independent prep school.
    I am currently a head in a small state Catholic primary school.
    Are there any independent school heads willing to give some advice please?
    Thank you.

2. Ireton

Ireton New commenter

Hi Digoryvenn,
    May I suggest that you contact local prep school heads for advice. Am sure some of them could point you in the right direction. Otherwise try IAPS fr some advice. I know of a number of heads and eputies who have switched between the two and, naturally mnay preps now go to 11+ which is ideal.
    Good luck,
    Ireton

3. DIrectorStudies

DIrectorStudies New commenter

How about applying for a deputy role first? A Head of a Prep school is very different from any other Head role.

4. digoryvenn

Thank you for your replies.
    That is a good idea Ireton, I shall contact some local prep school.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I don't know which part of the country you are in @digoryvenn , but I know of a couple/few prep school heads who would be more than happy to advise you...my own would be one of them!

6. digoryvenn

Thanks Caterpillar, I'm in North Yorkshire.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ahhhh I'm thinking Oxfordshire/Gloucestershire/Berkshire...

Good luck though.

8. digoryvenn

Thanks anyway.
    I used to be in that area before I moved for my present job.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there @digoryvenn, and Happy New Year to you!

I agree strongly with this:

As Head of a Primary you have curriculum experience, and pastoral. As Head of a small Primary you have no experience of scale. And as Head of a State Primary you have no experience of all the rest that goes with being Head of an Indy. Too many things to list here!

If you feel that your future lies in teaching and leading in the Indy sector, then a Deputy or Director of Studies role is for you first. Or - have you thought of this? Head of the Junior School of an all-through 3-18 Indy school, where you have the support and guidance of the overall Head of the School.

However, a word of warning.

in your part of the country, Indy schools are closing. Especially small ones, and Preps are often small.

:(

As I always say (said - mustn't forget that my 11 years of TES Careers advice are over!), start by looking at the person specification of appropriate posts on the TES Jobs, and then do a rough E.S. for it, to see which areas you need to develop to become a credible applicant.

Since I actually know you, @digoryvenn , I will add that your successful Ofsted will stand you in good stead. And since you actually know me, you will know how to contact me privately if needs be!

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 and digoryvenn like this.
  10. digoryvenn

Thank you ever so much Theo.
    I hope you had a lovely Christmas and happy new year to you too!
    Yes, I had thought of applying for head of junior school and I am on the look out for suitable positions.

sabrinakat and Lara mfl 05 like this.