1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working another job whilst on maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by ms media, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Is anyone able to clarify the rules re wokring whilst on maternity leave. I know you're not meant to do something like supply, but a friend told me she thought you could work a job outside of your normal hours.
    For example, if you took an evening job, that would be ok as you wouldn't normally teach in the evenings.

2. Is anyone able to clarify the rules re wokring whilst on maternity leave. I know you're not meant to do something like supply, but a friend told me she thought you could work a job outside of your normal hours.
    For example, if you took an evening job, that would be ok as you wouldn't normally teach in the evenings.

3. if you read the direct.gov website, any paid work during maternity leave automatically ends your maternity leave. most heads seem to turn a blind eye to exam marking though.

4. sabby81

sabby81 New commenter

Is it only if your head finds out or is it through HMRC-tax/NI payments from 2nd job??

5. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

I spoke to HMRC a few weeks ago as am self-employed too and they said that it would make no difference to my maternity pay etc (exempt from class 2 nic's on my self employment as don't earn enough)

6. Is that why then? Is it something to do with your second job not being enough warrant NI or make you eligible for maternity pay from that? I did try to research it but got confused as all it talked about was not doing more than the 10 'keeping in touch' days with your main employer or how to take maternity leave from two jobs. I want to know about doing a bit of self employed after school hours work that probably won't amount to much financially but will make a little difference for us.

7. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

excempt from NIC2 because I earn under £5.5k in my self employment. Think self-employment and 2nd employement therefore are different when being considered. The guy on phone even said I should end up getting a tax rebate because my self-employment (babywearing consultant) is still in red and not making a profit, on my main job.

8. Interesting. Might give them a call. My partner is self employed and I could just assist her for a bit, which wouldn't mean mega bucks, so I am sure would be less than £5.5K but would mean we were a little better off.