1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

working all the time

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by janie11, Jan 17, 2016.

1. janie11

janie11 New commenter

Hello

I have been given three coordinator roles. The last two are new and need implementing from scratch. We have no coordinator time given so this means I must complete the required work in my own time at home. I realise many schools dont offer coordinator time. However, with my normal workload as a teacher and no extra pay (I also appreciate many others have these roles without extra pay) how much can the head expect me to do? I have completed the action plans and there is a lot to do. I just feel like I am working all the time as it is. How much can a head expect us to do?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The HT will expect you to do everything on your directed-time budget. Those 1265 hours belong to the HT.

Beyond that you have to fulfil your professional obligations. Pretty open-ended? Yes. There is no hard-and-fast rule. Other than directed-time.

So you have to be assertive. Track your time. Prioritise. Include all hours spent on schoolwork whether at the weekend or during holidays. Make decisions. If you believe something to be low priority then you'll probably have to shelve it. It's high-priority to the HT? Up to you to agree and get it done or insist that you have more pressing demands in the classroom and you aim to get round to it within the next four weeks.

I always put my kids (pupils) first. So lessons are top of the list. Policies? We managed for years without them. Nobody reads them. Unless you're prompted to do them? Forget. Unless you want to spend every waking hour on this job you must learn to pace yourself, to say no, to stand up for yourself, to join a union and abide by their advice. Amongst other things.

TEA2111 and Compassman like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

3 different roles?

I once had two different roles and that consumed so much time... and went completely unappreciated.

I can't picture a world where I could have done 3 and managed to be successful.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I agree with you, @lanokia. Such roles are just bottomless pits into which you have to throw every spare second, as when to school managers 'co-ordinate' means do everything from scratch.

lanokia likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Indeed... one role I had was subject co-ordinator... and the school pointedly deleted ALL the old resources and binned copies of everything to 'start fresh'.

Thankless task.

6. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

You say that you have been given these three coordinator roles. Why?
    If you don't get paid for them and there's no additional time, what's in it for you?

7. therunningman

therunningman New commenter

Depending on the size of the school it's not unusual to have multiple roles. In a small school with only four or five teachers, most will have responsibility for more than.one subject.

As said above, priority must go to your core role - teaching your class. Therefore planning, assessing, etc takes place first.

I would first of all put together a basic action plan (as you have done) with three or four key targets for the year. I would give myself a year to implant these and would.probably focus on completing one each term, getting onto it either on a rare quiet week or during half term.

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Have you asked for time in the school day to work on them? If they are a school priority, then the school should be able to find the time for you to do at least some of the work, either by employing a supply teacher to cover your class, or the head taking your class. However small the school and however tight the budget, I am sure money can be found to give you a few days or half-days off timetable.

9. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Try totting up how many roles, if the school was a Teaching Head, 1 full-time teacher and a part-time teacher. At one point I think I had 10, if not more.

10. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

With all due respect... (Expect something very disrespectful if it's been prefixed with this)...

Why are you doing it?
    Is it really worth risking your health for?
    I have two roles at my school as well as being a class teacher. I wouldn't do either if I wasn't being paid for them and given necessary management time.

(Wasn't that disrespectful but if too many people are treated like mugs these days).

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Do look after your health.

Go and see someone. DHT? HT? Will depend on the size of the school.

Take with you the 3 sets of action plans, say that you cannot carry it all out all at the same time, AND provide the quality of teaching, so could you please have some help in prioritising.

You will want to get rid of most of each action plan in this prioritisation exercise.

:)

Good luck!