1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working after hours...

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Marshall, May 14, 2019.

1. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

I very often work later at night because of circumstances and I send emails to people (local authority, consultants we are working with, staff) for their reply the next day.

So many reply there and then - it's good that they are still working just like us in schools.

What's not good is that we are all still working later on at night:(

2. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Agreed.
    But often its the only time you can get to 'Talk"

3. cheesypop

cheesypop Occasional commenter

I’m new in my current post and I recently replied straight away to an email my head sent at 11pm on a Friday night (my emails come up on my phone).
    She replied saying ‘I didn’t expect an immediate response, please have a weekend’.
    It told me to switch off and I appreciated that.

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

You can set your emails to not be delivered until a later time (e.g. 7am)

nomad likes this.
  5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

As a HT, I receive all sorts of emails any time of the day and night but I restrict the hours that I will respond- unless of course there is an emergency.
    I make it clear to my staffing team that whilst I expect them to work hard, I expect them to have a strong work-life balance too.
    If I send an email to all staff, it’s generally within the hours of 8am and 5pm- anything else (unless an emergency- school closure etc) will be communicated the next day.
    I know a HT who has set up a WhatsApp group for all staff- which although useful- it’s an invasion of privacy. I have a WhatsApp group for the Senior Leadership Team (AHT & DHT) only but I wouldn’t have one for all staff- my school employs 65 colleagues- I am sure they wouldn’t appreciate other colleagues messaging each other on there in a ‘public conversation’ in the early hours etc- if they want their own, then it’s up to them.

strawbs likes this.