1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working Abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by judithwoods, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Hi All,

I am after some advice on packing up, leaving the UK and going to work abroad!

I really enjoy teaching and am hoping to be able to combine some travel with my job. I have just finished my NQT year in the UK. I have a few concerns, and wondered if anyone could clear them up for me?

My main concerns are:

1) coming back to the UK and finding work (how will the pay scale work? will it be hard to pick up a job having been away?)

2) countries to go and work in (does anyone have any suggestions re: education systems?)

3) any ideas on how contracts work abroad or places I can get in touch with to find out more about working abroad?

It'd be great to hear from anyone who has done it or is currently abroad. This would obviously be a very big move, but exciting nonetheless. Just want to gather some facts to help me decide!

Many thanks all :)

2. Hi All,

I am after some advice on packing up, leaving the UK and going to work abroad!

I really enjoy teaching and am hoping to be able to combine some travel with my job. I have just finished my NQT year in the UK. I have a few concerns, and wondered if anyone could clear them up for me?

My main concerns are:

1) coming back to the UK and finding work (how will the pay scale work? will it be hard to pick up a job having been away?)

2) countries to go and work in (does anyone have any suggestions re: education systems?)

3) any ideas on how contracts work abroad or places I can get in touch with to find out more about working abroad?

It'd be great to hear from anyone who has done it or is currently abroad. This would obviously be a very big move, but exciting nonetheless. Just want to gather some facts to help me decide!

Many thanks all :)

3. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Dear Judith,
    try to narrow down where you would like to teach (area, country) initially. Education systems in international schools vary considerably, but are generally based on either the English NC or the US model. English schools will often not recognise your overseas experience - sorry. Contracts are between you and the school in question. As someone in their 2nd year of teaching you will find it a challenge to secure a post in a top tier school at the moment. Most popular areas at the moment because of the number of schools: the ME and the PRC. Avoid the SAR for the moment.

4. Just wondering where the SAR you are talking about refers to? South African Republic??

5. Hey Judith,
    Are you thinking of teaching English? Guessing so as it is the most popular form of teaching overseas, in which case you would need a TEFL certificate on top of your other qualifications and then you can teach pretty much anywhere. It is safer option to look at getting a position sorted before you go abroad, you could look at a programme like this http://www.realgap.co.uk/node/3044 where you get your qualification sorted and then get a 5 month teaching internship; good for the certificate and experience!

6. Not really sure why you would suggest that a qualified teacher who could apply to teach in an international school would need a TEFL certificate. TEFL teaching is a completely different aspect which realistically doesn't feature in the International schools that QTS teachers work in.
    Judith - you have currently missed the major recruiting season although school that operate Jan-Dec will be recruiting relatively soon. Schools that operate on the usual British timetable will be starting/have already started so their staffing needs will mostly be fulfilled.
    You could keep an eye out for last minute posts being advertised on here due to non-arrival but be VERY careful about those schools as they tend not to be top tier.
    As Syria states - you are pretty much asking 'why is the sky blue?' There are international English NC, American, Australian, French, German schools all over the globe. Each country has very different aspects to it as does each educational system.
    Narrow your search and conduct more research via the search function on here.

7. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

There are various reasons for non-arrival, including death, illness, and other serious misfortune. So, vacancies can also occur at good schools too.

In fact, as I've already said, I'm hovering like a vulture, hoping to make someone's cloud my silver lining.

8. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

SAR is the Syrian Arab Republic. Two nice schools there - one in Aleppo, one in Damascus.