1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working abroad unable to get a police check for first year

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Abbieheald, Dec 1, 2019 at 12:03 AM.

1. Abbieheald

Abbieheald New commenter

Hi,

I’m currently working abroad, as I got my job later in September I’m working on a visit visa and will get a residence permit next year however that does mean that this year I won’t be able to get a police check for this year, it would only be for next year.

Will that hinder my chances of a job in the UK when I come back?

Thanks

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Can you work on a visit visa?

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

What might hinder your chances of getting a job back in the UK is being unavailable for interviews. Lots of international schools use SKYPE these days, but I believe that this is not at all common in the UK.

If your contract is a standard one, then it will be for two years. As you have only just started your new job, I think that it would be wise to wait a while and see how things go. You may well find that your second year in international teaching is much easier and more enjoyable than the first one was, so you might perhaps want to extend your contract for a third or fourth year. This often happens. Therefore I would not be in a hurry to start thinking about leaving, especially as you have only just arrived!

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to getting a teaching job in the UK, but I think that in international schools it is usually the case that good references are really important. You cannot expect to get a good reference from your current school, if you start talking about leaving when you only got off the plane a few months ago.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I would think that it might well cause a problem. Are you sure you won't be able to get a police check for this year? I mean, surely if you committed a crime on a visit visa they'd be able to put you into the legal system, so logic dictates they should be able to produce something to say someone on a visit visa is not on the system... (But I appreciate that logic doesn't always work in foreign climes. I know the country I'm working in can be ridiculous sometimes!)

5. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

6. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Your police check when you leave the country will check for any police records with your name on them in that country, regardless of what type of visa you had at the time. I don't see a problem.