1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working Abroad (Dubai!)

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by gilks1984, May 20, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I'm currently applying/getting interviewed for jobs abroad in particular, Dubai!

Does anyone have any experience/tips/advice for working in the Middle East especially Dubai?

Many thanks.

2. Hi all,

I'm currently applying/getting interviewed for jobs abroad in particular, Dubai!

Does anyone have any experience/tips/advice for working in the Middle East especially Dubai?

Many thanks.

3. NikiQatar

NikiQatar New commenter

Hi!

I am currently Head of Drama at an international school in Qatar. Money is great, kids are excellent and the sunshines everyday!
    If you are looking at schools, I'd advise you to look for ones that are British run, for example, Dubai College is a good one. It is very much like a British School, they use British curriculum and there will be very few students who dont speak English as a first language.
    make sure that you get offered a good package. A friend of mine over here was on nearly 1000GBP a month LESS than me (she was HEAD OF ENGLISH!!) because she worked in an non-British school and she also had a shared apartment. Luckily she had someone lovely move in, but it could have been a disaster.
    Feel free to ask any questions and I will try and anser them for you!! Good Luck and happy job hunting!!!

4. Hello there,

I have just graduated with a PGCE in Performing Arts, post compulsory. Dance & Drama and looking for teaching work abroad. Recently looking for jobs in Dubai and came across this post. Do you have any useful weblinks you know of to search for jobs in Dubai or any tips and advice you could pass along the way, would really appreciate it. As a NQT it can be difficult to get up an running! It's having that extra experience to be noticed.

Kind Regards
    Dani

5. Hi Dani,

It can be very difficult as an NQT to search for jobs abroad.
    Many jobs require you to have at least 2/3 years experience in England before going abroad. (Mainly because they teach and English curriculum and because they are private schools too)
    Inbox me for any further questions.

:)