1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working abroad and not married

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ROSO28, Nov 26, 2015.

1. ROSO28

ROSO28 New commenter

Hi,

This is my first time posting in this forum so please forgive me if the answer is elsewhere although I have spent a while reading previous posts and I can't find my answer.

My partner and I have decided to look to move abroad. A friend of mine has moved to Brunei to teach and has recommended it hugely. We have a 4 year old child and are currently unmarried. Is this a big problem?

Is it a requirement to teach in Asia/Brunei etc to be married? We are engaged atm I might add.
    Does anyone have any experience teaching in these places and not being married?

many thanks x

2. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

Yes. Get married before interview or you're likely to miss out.

3. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Occasional commenter

Commenting on "Asia/Brunei" is difficult. There are countries in Asia where it would be problematic (Principal-Skinner is right that Brunei is one of them) but there are many more where it wouldn't be.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yep, Brunei is a no-no if you have not tied the knot. When Mrs H and I were in Doha, we would sometimes read of unmarried ladies in the pudding club who had to get on an aeroplane rather quickly, in order to avoid being sent to prison.

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Do the deed, get married and be done with it!

agbak likes this.