1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working aboard first time- in N.Cyprus

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by fisunahmet, May 12, 2012.

1. I finished my NQT last year and had to leave because it was on contract. Since then have been doing supply and been looking for jobs in the UK but no luck.

So I applied for a job In N.Cyprus. Its a place I go to every year as holidays so i felt comfortable applying.

I've been offered the job and its taken me a very long time to decide if i want to go or not! I've decided to do it because if i stay here it will be the same old rubbish in my life and I hate working as a supply teacher.

I do feel nervous about the new job. Cyprus is very different to here and I'm worried about being on my own etc and the salary they have offered me is lets say we get paid like 2x more here then my salary offer! I am worried about living off that money but ill have to be tight! There is so much work to do to, need to find accommodation near the university when i go there this summer on holiday!

I wanted to ask, have you taught aboard and how did you find being in a foreign country and what advice can you offer? Or is there anyone out there who has or is working for The American university in Girne. It would be great to hear what it is like!

2. I finished my NQT last year and had to leave because it was on contract. Since then have been doing supply and been looking for jobs in the UK but no luck.

So I applied for a job In N.Cyprus. Its a place I go to every year as holidays so i felt comfortable applying.

I've been offered the job and its taken me a very long time to decide if i want to go or not! I've decided to do it because if i stay here it will be the same old rubbish in my life and I hate working as a supply teacher.

I do feel nervous about the new job. Cyprus is very different to here and I'm worried about being on my own etc and the salary they have offered me is lets say we get paid like 2x more here then my salary offer! I am worried about living off that money but ill have to be tight! There is so much work to do to, need to find accommodation near the university when i go there this summer on holiday!

I wanted to ask, have you taught aboard and how did you find being in a foreign country and what advice can you offer? Or is there anyone out there who has or is working for The American university in Girne. It would be great to hear what it is like!

3. Good luck but there is a difference between working abroad and working in an illegally occupied state that isn't recognised by any country apart from Turkey!