1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Working a Spanish teacher

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by GordonNome, Nov 29, 2012.

  1. GordonNome

    GordonNome New commenter

    Do you mean a National Insurance number for tax purposes? If yes, then you need to go to a Job Centre (assuming you are in the UK already) and get an appointment with them. They will need proof of identity and also proof of your address in the UK. Or do you mean a health insurance number? If you want health insurance then if you are a European Union Citizen you are entitled to the same free healthcare as a UK citizen, if you show your EHIC card.
    As for getting a job, how would you do it in Spain? Here we look in the newspapers, use job websites and maybe register with a few agencies to find out what is available. You can also look directly on websites for individual schools if you have an idea of which geographical area you want to work in - most of them have a "job vacancies" section where you can see if they are recruiting.
    Good luck
  2. never_expect_anything

    never_expect_anything Occasional commenter

    Javier, Terif's reply has given a very comprehensive and good advice. I'd just add, if you are looking online, the other main website used for teaching job adverts is www.eteach.co.uk . As for agencies, there are many that focus on education jobs, but the main ones (with branches nationwide) for teaching jobs are probably: Capita, Hays, Randstad, Teaching Personnel and Protocol, but there are lots that only cover certain parts of the country (eg. ABC & Connex in the Midlands); also, most agencies will conduct an interview, so it's obviously easier if you're already in the country. Good luck in your job-hunting!
  3. Hola Javier,
    I am also registered but I am starting with the QTS. Have you done it?
    I do have a NINo (National Insurance Number), you need it, it is like a NIF number. You apply through a job center. It is quite a process and the day I was at the center, there were so many Spanish people applying that the workers were joking about reading the applicants' names with a good Spanish pronunciation.
    There is another number, the NHS (National Health Service), you need it to go to the doctor. You apply when you register with a GP (doctor).

    In Spain we only have one number. This simple thing has taken me a lot of time. If you need anything else, just ask. I arrived last September and I have just started looking for teaching jobs.

    Primary Teacher

Share This Page