1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working 12 hrs a week whilst doing the PGCE?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lulaxbella, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Thankyou everyone for your messages, i currently work in a supermarket. Im doing 20hrs per week at the moment, i do have the chance to go down to 12hrs per week when i start my PGCE as that is the minimum contract. You are right though, i won't know what it's like until September which is frustrating! I'm quite organised and cope with stress well, so i think i should be ok if i go down to 12 hrs per week. We will have to see! Thankyou again for your messages xx

2. You are a victim of the slashing of bursaries and I susoect many others will be in a similar position. Ideally you should not take on any part-time work during a PGCE. It is very intense and very time-consuming. Very rarely do trainees who do a lot of part-time work sail through. Recently I can only think of one trainee who did part-time work and that was only on a Sunday in a shop. But it was not easy and there were considerable stresses. This trainee was helped by the fact that the trainee lived at home so cooking, cleaning, washing/ironing etc. were not an issue.
    If there is anyway you can save between now and September and avoid work do so.
    James

3. Hi Lulaxbella and James,
    I have a question stemming from this... I was unaware the bursaries had been cut. As far as I can see there are still bursaries in place. For those who are not in the right subject areas for the training busrary there are other options like a loan and/or maintenance grant:
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/funding/training-in-england/postgraduate-funding.aspx
    Has this changed?
    I personally will be trying to finish off another degree in parallel with my teacher training when I start my PGCE in September (for the first 2/3 months). Although this will be hard work, I think if you are determined and dedicated then it is possible. It will be tiring but as robmusician stated, if you are organised then it is possible. I would also say to make sure you still have time off now and again and get out of the city you are training in to ensure you are taking some proper breaks too.
    Good luck!

4. I struggled very much with the PGCE workload - to the extent that I have now deferred to complete next year. BUT I am a parent so have a house and child as well as other commitments. If you have no other commitments and are reasonably well organised you may be OK.

5. lindsaygii

lindsaygii New commenter

I'm a single parent, looking after a toddler, running a house etc. I'm also used to working in a busy professional environment and planning my workload.

To be honest, I don't think the PGCE workload is all that. Now and then it backs up a bit (like when I was sick two weekends on the run), and of course it is busy when there are deadlines.

But yes, if it was me, I could easily fit in a part time job around doing the PGCE. I would put it into the 35-40 hours a week I spend doing childcare just now, and still have most of my evenings free.

My advice would be keep the hours on at the supermarket. If it gets too much you can leave, much more easily than you can ask for your job back if you realise you could have made time. Also, put EVERYTHING in your diary - all your deadlines, your classes, everything. Keep ahead of the game and you'll be okay.

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Another single parent here, I found the PGCE and parenthood was doable for the most part but very intense during final placement, so became harder to balance working, parenting & household responsibilities. If I were you I would give it a go and keep the part time job for as long as possible and then if it all starts to get too much you can reassess later on.

7. Bursaries only exist now for physics, maths and chemistry (£9,000) and other sciences (£6,000) and Modern Foreign Languages (£6,000) they have been cut for all other subjects.
    James

8. I am just about to start my final placement on the Primary PGCE and I have managed to hold down a Saturday job for the whole period of the course so far, bar my last placement. I rent independant housing with my partner and although I have been claiming the bursery, I felt that it just wouldn't be enough. My initial plan was to 'suck it and see' how it went, but whilst completing the university based programme, it has been absolutely fine. It has to be given that I have been lucky as I work as a casual nursery assistant, not contracted to any minimum amount of hours and can accept or decline hours at will, and at times I have had to do this due to deadlines/heavy workload at particular times/ school placement. From my experience, working whilst on school placement was just too much, and I couldn't put my all in getting the most out of the experience. If you could get flexible employment I would say go for it, but I'm not sure I could have held a fixed 12hr job down and completed the course to my best ability. Best of luck!

9. Thanks so much for reply, i like to think i'm an organised person and could propbably deal with being tired 24/7 as the course is only a year!
    Looks like i'll have to suck it up and see, and if it does get too much, then i can easily leave.
    I'll just have to do some serious saving during the summer as i rent a small flat, so things could become a little tight!
    Thanks so much, i am thrilled to be going onto the course in september :)

10. Give it a go! I am on PGCE at the moment and work PT for 8 hours on a Sunday, it is tough though at first, I worked 20 hours all the way through my A Levels and Undergrad years so I was used to it (although you can't compare the workload of Uni to a PGCE!).

The workload for a PGCE varies through each term, take one term at a time, I would however ensure you only work at Weekends...you can't really do evening work due to parent's evenings/open nights, Twilight INSET etc!

I say...GO For it!

11. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

One thing to bear in mind is that the PGCE is like having a full time job. Most weeks you are in school everyday. But the plus side is that you get lots of free periods for planning etc. The school day finishes early compared to most jobs and so you have a couple hours after school that can be used for planning as well.
    You would need to be really good at managing your time effectively, using free periods and the time immediately after school to get everything done.
    You will be tired because think of doing a full time and a part time job plus your assignments on top of that. But if I was starting next year I would have had to work because I could not have funded myself through the course without the bursary.
    Do as much reading for the course ahead of your start as well, get some books which introduce you to differentiation, assessment for learning, behaviour for learning, learning objectives and outcomes etc. That will make your life much easier when the course starts.

12. Thankyou for the advice, i will bear this in mind and will go to the local library to see if they stock these books - if not, i can ask them to order them in :)
    --------------------------------------------
    Thankyou to everyone who has replied to this thread, your comments are truly helpful and motivational !
    x

13. Thankyou for the advice, i
    will bear this in mind and will go to the local library to see if they
    stock these books - if not, i can ask them to order them in :)
    --------------------------------------------
    Thankyou to everyone who has replied to this thread, your comments are truly helpful and motivational !
    x

14. One thing I would just be careful of...
    I currently work as a cover supervisor and will be starting my PGCE in September. To save a bit of money, I've returned to my old uni job of working at a supermarket in the evenings and weekends.
    Now, my supermarket and my school are about 50 miles apart, so I have very little risk of bumping into students when I'm serving. I'd previously refused a post in a supermarket nearer my school as I didn't want the roles "confusing" students. I don't want to risk losing authority with students because they've seen me in another role.
    You may like to consider the likelihood of being seen in the "service" role by someone you need to see you as an authority figure if you do choose to keep your job.