1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

working 0.6 as ppa cover

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by missjones21, Oct 16, 2016.

1. missjones21

missjones21 New commenter

I'm working 3 days as ppa cover on a one year contract, just wondering what time would be acceptable to leave at the end of the day, and whether i should offer my services to the other teachers? I'm feeling like they think i have an easy ride, however the position was advertised internally and no one took it up.
    I'm currently not tied to any clubs, and miss the staff meeting as thats on a day im not in, i also don't have to do any playground duty or morning gate supervising. I do plan my sessions and also prepare resources.
    Never been part time before so no idea what the set pattern is,
    Thanks

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I assume you are free to leave when the school day ends, as any teacher can if there are no meetings and they wish or need to do this. If running or assisting with an after school club isn't part of the job you are being paid to do, then you are under no obligation to offer to help. Whether you plan and prepare resources at school or at home is up to you.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It sounds like you're doing the job, so that's all fine, and you can't really be criticised. However I can see that it's awkward if you feel you're the only one who isn't rushed off your feet, and obviously you're going to need references in the future, so it may be useful to have been seen to be contributing more widely.

Make a point of catching up on the staff meeting - read any minutes, look at any powerpoint, etc, and maybe ask the odd question, so that others can see that you are engaging with what's going on.

Perhaps it was inadvertent that you were missed off the playground duty rota, and maybe it would be worth mentioning to whoever organises it that perhaps you should be swapped in. Or you could offer directly to someone who seems particularly overworked, or who is pregnant and could do without that extra 15 minutes on their feet!

If you're feeling underloaded, then offering to do a club at lunchtime or after school is sure to be welcomed.

You could have a chat with your line manager about "contributing more widely" - maybe there is something that they could delegate to you to organise.

gingerhobo48 likes this.