1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working 0.2 and expected to attend training

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by friarsyear1, Oct 2, 2018.

1. friarsyear1

friarsyear1 New commenter

Hi Everyone.

I returned from maternity leave on a one day a week contract (I spoke to the head 6 months after starting ML and she agreed to give me the one day a week if I started early with the idea being to increase my hours from January - childcare being the reason for the 1 day).

Whilst I was on ML the school decides to increase the October half term to 2 weeks. I am now being told I owe one day’s

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Your post seems to have been cut short.
    Just a thought - every member of staff must do the safeguarding training. Could it be this?

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Presumably, the 2nd week at October half term has been moived from some other holiday in the year, so nothing has changed - you're not getting an extra week's holiday, just getting it at a different time?

Are there other part-timers in the school - check with them and see if they've had the same message.

And for what it's worth, you cannot be directed to attend school on days you do not work. @mothorchid makes a good point about the safeguarding - there needs to be a discussion about that with your HT or line manager. If you agree to go when it's not your working day you should be paid for it. If you can't manage it, then different arrangements will have to be made.

4. friarsyear1

friarsyear1 New commenter

Sorry for the cut-short message. That’s not helpful! Here’s the rest of it:

Whilst I was on ML the school increased the October half term to 2 weeks. I am now being told I owe one day’s hours to attend training sessions. It’s my understanding that I don’t (it wasn’t my choice to have the extra week!) In addition, I’m being told (worded as offered but I have already declined to attend 2 sessions prior to this e-mail) to attend 6 sessions in 1 hour slots on 6 days which I can’t do as (already discussed with the head teacher and deputy several times) I do not have ad hoc childcare available:

To make up the hours required for the additional week holiday in October, we would like to offer you 6.5 hours of training

I have already e-mailed both the headteacher and deputy saying I am, of course, willing to attend any training as long as it is on pro-rata paid basis.

I have a feeling this is going to cause waves but I am not willing to attend school on days I don’t work unless they are willing to pay me.

Do you think I should reply to the deputy head’s e-mail with the forwarded reply already sent to both her and the head and perhaps ask for the legislation that

What do you think?

Curae likes this.
  5. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Others here know the rules better than me but, as the head of a dept with an increasing number of teacher are part time, I ask them to attend their fair share. So, for example, one teacher teaches o.4 (2 days) and I usually ask them to commit to maybe 2 or 3 after school sessions on their working days. They usually, to their credit, pick the in s where they are most useful- so usually pick dept time or parents eves rather than whole school dying of boredom ones!

None of them have ever been asked to come in on their day off.

Ridiculous and totallt unfair

Curae likes this.