1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Workers' Rights etc Post-Brexit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

There has been a relative decline in manufacturing as a percentage of GDP, even though there has been a 40% increase in real output since 1970. The UK now manufactures more cars than it did in 1970:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/298822/forecast-growth-of-car-production-to-2017-in-the-united-kingdom/

The problem for many is that productivity is higher and fewer workers (skilled, and particularly unskilled) are required to meet requirements.

2. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Before social media, I had never heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

But before social media, I had no need to know what it is.

Boy, were they right.

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Couldn't agree more.

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

It's always been the way but labelling those who disagree with you as intellectually incompetent in social media is now a thing.

5. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I think that's too sweeping.

There are plenty of people on these boards with whom I disagree, but with whom I can discuss on equal terms.

There are some who remind me of the times when I see comments on articles in The Sun or the Daily Express.

They are very different.

ilovesooty likes this.
  6. needabreak

Well it wasn't personal, just an observation. It's very easy to call people names, its certainly easier than explaining why you think they are mistaken... sometimes one or both is simply a wasted effort.

border_walker and lexus300 like this.
  7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I did well enough and so did my fellow engineers in my area.

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

They said that of parking lots in the song. Around here all the parking lots on council land seem to be disappearing due to the desire of the local Labour-led council to build on them. Those with cars can walk or cycle no matter what age you are!

9. oldsomeman

Before social media, we actually read information and then considered it. Now its displayed for all, often with some commentary viewpoint!

needabreak likes this.
  10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Lucky you.

My father didn't. A factory worker having been demobbed after fighting in Burma in WW2, he was made redundant after over 25 years at the same textile factory in the late 60s. Factory later closed.

Eventually - after a struggle - he managed to get another job in a car factory in the next town (Coventry) which he hated, because the power of the unions in those days meant he spent almost as many days on strike as at work.

My mother worked at a shoe factory, which also closed in the 70s.

I remember doing homework by candle light during the power strikes of 70s.

Not such a great time for many.

11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The figures are indexed to 2009

12. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Maybe that's because central funding to your local council has been cut by the austerity government.
    If they don't sell off their land, what services do you think they should cut next?
    Social care? Libraries? Education? Youth service?
    Also the temptation to sell is high due to the housing crisis and the ludicrous price of London housing and rents, which you and I being London homeowners, have benefitted from handsomely - Do you think we should pay more council tax to stop them building on car parks? My house is apparently worth about 800K, maybe its time to sell up as there's nowhere to park near the station these days.

13. needabreak

I would be concerned about the plans to slimline the bus routes.

14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Around here the fields are disappearing due to the legislation from Tory central government requiring x million new homes to be built. It would be the same whichever party was in power. We need more homes. Building hasn't kept pace with need over the last few years, so now it's going mad! Partly fuelled by people like me who live alone in a 3 bedroom house.

15. oldsomeman

No. they spend it on bicycle lanes, reorganising junctions so cycles and get across easier. The revenue they have, as the traffic and council wardens like fining folk, plus anyone parking on a cycle lane will also be fined 24/hours a day.they should not be too short of cash. Meanwhile, the homes being built are to meet targets, but precious little is for social housing. Too many folks want to live here. A lot of small shops are now open as cafe's and usually with their east European occupants spending their days there... The place is becoming high rise flats in lots of places!

16. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Not quite -Joni Mitchell wrote that they 'paved paradise ' and " put up a parking lot'.

17. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

I'm sure that means something to you, it might even be mildly humorous or possibly even relevant?

I suggest you re-read what I said- may be get an adult to help you with the complicated bits?

18. Burndenpark

and you have a siggy starting with
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

Your lack of self-awareness knows no bounds

19. Burndenpark

oh good grief!

cf

20. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

It still makes no sense.
    You debate like Cathy Newman.