1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Workers' Rights etc Post-Brexit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Feelings generally trump facts.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The fact that they are moving 'design approval work for its large aero engines' to Germany as a 'precautionary' move means that my use of the 'thin end of the wedge' is correct. Unless Brexit is cancelled (or a suitable deal with the EU agreed) more things will follow...

And the idea that this won't include jobs is naive...

monicabilongame and needabreak like this.
  3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Manufacturer SKF announced last week a proposal to shut down its factory on Oldends Lane near Stroudwater Business Park, Stonehouse, pending negotiations with representatives of 180 workers who face redundancy.

SKF, which makes bearings for the aerospace industry, has proposed ceasing manufacturing at the factory by December 31, 2021, and moving production to sites in Italy and France where it can make “better use” of modern machines.

A company spokesman denied that the closure proposal is directly related to Brexit.

https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co...jobs-being-shipped-from-stonehouse-to-europe/

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

An inclined plane?

5. JeannieMc

JeannieMc New commenter

Scaremongering. Why? If any of those things happen, I'll see you out Protesting won't I? And if the 'eu' was any good, why do we have the worst Pensions in the whole of it? Why the most homeless? Why has our industrial base gone but Germany's and France's haven't? Why Austerity across the 'eu' since 2008; not 2016? Why zero hours contracts across the 'eu'? I could go on but you catch the drift. #Brexit and without a deal please. WTO here we come. Yipeeeeeeeeee

6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

How is the EU responsible for these issues in Britain?

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Worst pensions in this the whole of Europe? Really? Worse than (say) Malta? Croatia? Portugal? I don't think so!!! And the most homeless? No...

You may love Brexit and hate the EU but you can't just make up stuff and expect to be believed...

monicabilongame likes this.
  8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Jeannie MC's post is indicative of why people voted leave - they wished, quite rightly, to make a protest against the many injustices and negatives caused by if not inflicted upon this country by government, but we're fooled into believing it is all the fault of the EU.

If the EU is so terrible, how come .other EU nations have much better pensions? How come they have better manufacturing industries? How come they are not struggling with zero hours contracts, etc. etc?

9. Photo51

If the EU is so great why do so many EU citizens reside in the UK? (other than British EU citizens)

border_walker likes this.
  10. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Probably for the same reason so many Brits reside in other European countries - jobs, spouses, education, because they like that country better... I would quite happily have lived in the Netherlands had I not married Mr Bilongame

11. Photo51

The UK you described was as rubbish. Yet the 1.3 million UK citizens in the EU 27 are much smaller then the 3. 7 million from the 27 in the UK. Impossible to explain the massive net inflow.

border_walker likes this.