1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Workers' Rights etc Post-Brexit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Our government made the changes that hurt working people, not the EU.

You wish to chuck the EU and throw your lot in with Rees-Mogg, Davis, Redwood, Duncan-Smith and Co?

When do you expect things to start improving for workers?

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Again:rolleyes: I responded to the brainwashed who think the EU has protected workers rights. Are you all on 'not receiving' medication today?:confused:

Sir_Henry likes this.
  3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Jobs lost, how many have been regained since?

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Or they disagree with you....

No need to hyperbolise into the ludicrous realm.

Burndenpark likes this.
  6. Scintillant

The UK government removed rights from UK workers. You may also remember we negotiated an opt-out from certain elements of the working time directive etc.

You have now put your faith in the very same (or more extreme) people to look after your rights post-Brexit. Surely you cannot hope to have workers' rights improved by such people? If we did leave Europe (we won't) they would soon take a knife to most legislation that currently protects UK workers

In the meantime:

Brexit: 10 ways the EU protects British workers' rights

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Do you think there will never be a Labour government?

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Just as well the Tories don't have a majority.

As I have pointed out (more than once) the EU Withdrawal Agreement prevents that. It would only be possible in the case of No Deal, and even then the opposition could easily outvote any such measure given that we have a minority government.

9. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Taking the Ford example 500 jobs lost in Southampton, 2800 created/protected in Essex. A net gain for U.K. PLC.

Burndenpark likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I know you aren't addressing me but all this seems to make a Labour govt. more likely to me. I suspect if this deal does get through the Tory vote will loose the fringes to a resurgent UKIP which will split the Right's vote and give Corbyn an in.

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  11. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Mrs Marshall?
    Mrs Coleman?

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

No, a loss of 500. They were not mutually dependent.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

So, I cannot but they can?

Sir_Henry likes this.
  14. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

You asked a question, you just don’t like the answer.

Ford, a US controlled company, made their decisions; without the EIB loan there could have been a further 2800 losses.

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

16. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

As it happens I was on a union course last week- at which workers' rights were often discussed. According to the tutor - large tracts of our labour laws were copied and pasted into EU documents to help set a minimum standard across the whole EU.

Looking at the big picture here- Yes the EU helped support our labour laws and workers' rights by making it much harder to undercut us across the whole EU.

Thank you both for summing it up so well

monicabilongame and Scintillant like this.
  17. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

More consumer safety than worker rights but can't be asked to start another thread and its related to leaving... I was watching something the other day about how stringent the EU regs are on carcinogenic chemicals in fragrances used in products we use, and how it's different in the USA and how companies adhere to EU regs and sell cheaper unregulated products in the US, they are lobbying but are countered by reps from big companies who head them off. I hope we don't struggle to maintain checks on our regs if we continue to adopt them. It sounds like a minefield.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

A BBC programme about DuPont and C8 has just finished.
    Hannan wants our regulations loosened. Considering some of the chemicals there will be many loosened bowels.

19. Scintillant

The whole point of Brexit is that it will allow vultures like JRM to deregulate.

Chlorinated chickens etc.

We'd be insane to countenance it.

20. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

missed it. Darn, do you know what channel it was on or the name of the programme?