1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Workers' Rights etc Post-Brexit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Nov 19, 2018.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I'm afraid the Tories have "form" when it comes to opposing legislation (like the Social Chapter) which aimed to improve or strengthen workers' rights and conditions, and also in promoting legislation like the emasculation of trades unions, which threatened them. Tories are for big business against small; for shareholders against workers.

monicabilongame and sparkleghirl like this.
  2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

And yet in other countries of the EU,trade unions remain stronger.

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

You would prefer that the EU reversed the attempts of the <drum roll> Sovereign Government <Ta-Da!> of the UK to pass its own legislation? I thought that was the bad thing that leavers didn't want.

This narrative of everything good is because of the UK and anything bad is either caused by the EU or because the EU failed to prevent the bad thing is trotted out conveniently all the time. It is illogical at best, you want the penny and the bun.

No he didn't. Examples please.

monicabilongame and Scintillant like this.
  4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I don't read Lan's post as supporting your point that
    in fact, quite the opposite - he recognises that erosion of workers' rights has been done by the UK government:

As others have pointed out, once again you seem to want the EU to have more control over our government, not less.

Burndenpark and cariadwch like this.
  5. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

The foregoing seems to unanimously agree the EU does not protect UK workers' rights.

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

upload_2018-11-19_13-29-6.jpeg

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

No, as I have already stated I get irritated (not annoyed) by people claiming the EU has protected/is protecting British workers. Never has that been a bigger lie than now. The EU even funded a non EU country (Turkey) to open a car plant resulting in a UK plant closing.
    UK workers have never had any protection from the EU., ask ex Peugeot car plant workers or Rover do you want any more examples? I have plenty.

Sir_Henry and border_walker like this.
  8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Yes, our choices within the EU, do you not get that?
    It is plain daft to cite the EU as a protector of workers rights when they have not done so in the UK.

9. Mangleworzle

So you agree that the UK has unilaterally been eroding workers rights. Would you prefer that the EU had greater powers over the UK? was the reason that people voted leave?

It seems that some posters appear to think they should have been personally consulted on what the EU can or cannot do irrespective of the decisions of the democratically elected governments of the UK. Always blaming the bogeyman is just childish.

10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

No I was sponging off the state.

monicabilongame and Burndenpark like this.
  11. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  12. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

No. Yes.

I was pointing out that everyone seems to agree workers rights have been eroded and the EU did not protect them

Sir_Henry likes this.
  13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

As is your right to do so;)

Sir_Henry likes this.
  14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I understand the point you are making - but Lexus was asked for rights which workers have lost because of the EU, rather than because of UK legislation.
    The EU has not been proactive in eroding workers' rights.

monicabilongame and Photo51 like this.
  15. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

At least if you are going to cite examples, get it right:

Ford received up to £190M loan (not a grant) from the EIB for its factory in Turkey in 2012, as a way of furthering its accession claims (as promoted by the UK at the time). In 2011, Turkey was producing 185,000 transits compared with 28,000 made in the UK. They had been making the bulk of Transits there since about 2002, after being built in several different countries over the years. Ford's decision was to consolidate Transit production in Turkey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Transit

Ford UK had already received £450M in loans from the EIB in 2010 which it chose to invest in the research & development facility in Essex:

http://www.eib.org/en/infocentre/press/releases/all/2010/2010-121-european-investment-bank-provides-gbp-450-million-to-ford-for-new-generation-of-environmentally-friendly-engines-and-vehicle-technologies.htm

Burndenpark likes this.
  16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Aided by EU money.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Nor has it been proactive in protecting them.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  18. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Maybe, maybe not. The fact that only 13% of Transits were made in the UK at the time (and for some time) suggests that the decision had been made long before. But keep grinding that axe.

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You mean the EU wasn't able to prevent the UK government from reducing trade union rights so we would be better of out of the EU away from any pretence that they would prevent Hannan and Rees-Mogg from making UK workers worse off?

20. Mangleworzle

So it has acted exactly in a way that you want - it allowed the democratically elected sovereign UK government to make its own choices. Except now you're complaining about it as if it is the fault of the EU and not the fault of the UK. Blame the bogeyman.