1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Workers' Rights etc Post-Brexit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Nov 19, 2018.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Lead commenter

May's Chequers deal doesn't mention workers' rights, environmental protection or consumer protection in post-Brexit Britain. Are we simply to assume they will continue as now, in line with EU standards? After Brexit is the UK likely to get enhanced protections in these areas, or is it more likely that we will have a "bonfire of the regulations" in which such anti-business frippery gets swept away?

My opinion? I fear for the UK's workers and our status in the world as long as Tories remain in charge. I am convinced that, for Boris and co. this has never been about seizing back national independence. It has always been about turning the UK into the "Dirty Man of Europe" once again in which unrestrained profit-making and enhancing shareholder value will elbow aside workers and the general public.

BetterNow, JL48, Jamvic and 4 others like this.
  2. Photo51

Photo51 Occasional commenter

We have already adopted those regulations haven't we?

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Before we joined the CM British workers had more rights than they do now.

xmal likes this.
  4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

This morning, on the TV it was stated that workers would be cared, for by a minister, waiting for a big conference of the CBI. May is addressing this morning...or are they all liars in your views?

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Could you give some examples, please?
    What rights (if any) have they lost because of the EU - not because of our own government?

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

1. It's not "May's Chequers Deal", it is the EU's draft Withdrawal Bill.
    2. It contains a series of “Non-regression clauses” that prevent the UK from bringing in lower standards on social, environmental and labour regulations such as working hours. These are included because the EU does not want to be undercut by the UK watering down existing regulations.

One of the reasons why I am against a second referendum is that many people seem to have no idea what is being proposed in the Withdrawal Agreement - they are as ill informed as it is claimed they were in 2016 (don't take that personally: it's simply a generic observation).

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Good grief!
    Trade union legislation, shall we start there.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

They can if sufficiently interested, read this.
    http://2mbg6fgb1kl380gtk22pbxgw-wpe...ontent/uploads/2018/11/ERGYourRightToKnow.pdf

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

That was Maggie and her government. Any examples that are a result of the EU? You can start there.

catmother and monicabilongame like this.
  10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Yes, the ERG and other hard brexiteers object to the non-regression clauses in the Withdrawal Agreement because they perceive them as keeping the UK under the rule of Brussels. Others might say that holding UK governments to not drop common standards in environmental, labour and social regulation is a Good Thing.

I do find it very odd that those who worry about the Tories dropping such standards seem opposed to the legal agreement that would prevent them from doing so.

Sir_Henry, border_walker and lexus300 like this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's more the notion that the EU some how protects worker's rights when demonstrably this is false. UK governments have succeeded in eroding those rights while within the framework of the EU.

12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Thanks, MGW - got there ahead of me.
    What workers' rights have been lost due to the EU?

monicabilongame likes this.
  13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Lan beat me to it.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Lead commenter

That is the stuff that comes out of the rear of male cattle!

15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Lead commenter

Things like this are what Brexit is about; allowing the rich to do what they want in the name of profit. What they don't realise is that it leads to revolution. The Tories were very concerned about such in Victorian and Edwardian times. It is probably that the Great War was a bonus for them in terms of worker suppression. They thought we might get a "Russian" revolution once the men came home to find they hadn't created a land fit for heroes, just more of the same. Unfortunately it didn't happen (cue ridiculous backlash.....)

16. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

You mean the UK was a sovereign nation enacting laws decided by a UK parliament then.

monicabilongame and sparkleghirl like this.
  17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I expect it would have been a whole lot worse without EU influence.

The Brexiteers' wet dream is to be out of the EU so they can roll back "red tape" (workers' rights and protection) and many legal obligations.

Luckily, I doubt we'll ever leave in a way that is actually leaving. If we ever leave in any way at all.

It seems Lexus is annoyed that EU didn't stop our government from treating its people badly. Which seems strange given his usual line of argument, lol.

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I was there working for a living at that time, were you?

Sir_Henry likes this.
  19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

This (above) is B-S.
    I get annoyed when idiots make statements about how well we are protected by EU rules when in fact we never have been.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  20. burajda

burajda Lead commenter

Then there's all those post 1972 EU and UK Equal Pay, Working Time, Health and Safety, anti Discrmination, Minority and Human Rights laws that many Brexiters want scrapped.
    Female workers? They knew their place in the good old days before we joined the EEC.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/december/29/newsid_2547000/2547249.stm

Funnily enough The Germans and French don't seem to have rolled back the Unions in the way our governments have. those EU fools even have working class reps in boardrooms. Cant see BoJo, Redwood and JRM agreeing to that.
    Looks like its about our choices and things we have control over rather than EU diktats again.
    It was our electorate voted to dismantle union power not the EU

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018