1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

worked 80+ hours this week, taught 22 hours

Discussion in 'Shape the agenda' started by Corvuscorax, Sep 14, 2019 at 1:01 AM.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

where did the rest of it go?

I haven't even done any marking!

here's some of it.

photocopying and unjamming photocopiers, must be a couple of hours a day at least.

setting homework for every class until Christmas. Do I know what I'm teaching 7B on November 8? no of course I don't. So how can I set them homework, I can't of course. But SLT says I must, so I have set it. Which means on November 7 I will have the additional job of unsetting it. And on Novermber 6, and 5,4,3,2,1,31,30,29.28........... on every day between now and Christmas in fact.

Hole punching. I have got hole punching blisters.

writing schemes of work in the long detailed, unwieldy format demanded by SLT, and filing them on the system where everybody teaching the same topic can find them, plough through the whole 16 pages to extract the main topic titles, and look up what they are teaching in the spec published by the exam board.

stalking year 7 classes through corridors, canteens and playgrounds. This is necessary because our modern, progressive, non-sexist SIMS no longer records sex of students, but my planning register is still required too, so as the photos have not been done yet, the only way to assign sex to individuals with unfamiliar or neutral names is to hang around the classes hoping to hear the name being used.

Thank fully this school does not require us to record sexuality in our registers, as a previous school did, in order for us to prove equal opportunities.

planning

shredding. Because every single piece of paper used in planning seems to end up with GDPR sensitive information on it, which has to be shredded.

Meetings! oh the meetings!

Training! receiving instructions from individuals too young to have been in my classes the first time I carried out identical instructions, before those instructions were updated, and updated, and updated, and updated back to the original instructions I have received again this week.....

calming down hysterical colleagues

carrying stacks of text books round in circles. We seem to have a minimum daily distance allocated for text book circling. It might be more efficient if we all took our text books down to the playground first thing in the morning and joined in one big circle and completed our text book circling allocation all together all in one go.

I can't think what else I've been doing off the top of my head, but I'm sure it will come to me. Suffice to say I still have to plan next weeks lessons over the weekend and I haven't started marking yet, so no doubt will getting my knuckles rapped for that next week too.

What have you all been doing to fill the time?

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Move to a better school mate. Go abroad.

3. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

You’re doing some weird stuff! Sounds a dreadful place. Move, there are better places.

FormosaRed likes this.
  4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

The photocopying, photocopier fixing, shredding etc are not part of a teacher's job. Collecting data for SIMS is also an admin job. Setting homework months in advance is bonkers. Time to find a school with better management.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

or learn how not to waste your own time

Most of what is in the OP is ridiculous.