1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Workbench in Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cazney, May 14, 2011.

1. Hi
    we have a work bench, but we havent done a risk assessment. We demonstrate with the children how to use the tools safely and correctly and they know if they are mis used there will be consequences. Children loved it at first but now they use it occasionaly although its always available.
    good luck

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I haven't got a copy I could send but it says something like

HAZARD Risk Person at Risk Control Measures risk rating
    Woodwork Cuts, knocks pupils Instrustion on safe use high
    Bench sharp tools supervision

3. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Thanks for your comments.
    I know it will be really popular at first, so will need to do lots of demonstrating and control and supervision so they can use it safely and independently

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We always do a worse case scenario death and pain chat before allowing children to use the area and in the years we've had the area never had an injury worse than a nipped finger (far less than the play tools we had before)

5. Hi
    We have a work bench but not a written risk assessment in the usual form. Before I allowed the children to use it I sat them down a group at a time and demonstrated how to use it. Then I asked them what they thought the risks of hurting themselves might be. Once I had done this with all the class we made a poster showing how to use it safely (eg wear safety glasses, only 1 child at a time etc) If anyone commented I would explain that this is in fact a child friendly risk assessment. This poster is displayed by the side of the bench and because the children helped to make it they follow the rules (or they point them out to those children who forget). Worse injury has been a small blood blister caused by a child hitting themselves with the hammer (they were more careful the next time).