1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work, work, work, work, work...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rumanowski, Oct 8, 2016.

1. rumanowski

rumanowski New commenter

Dear All,

I am looking for a second job for the forthcoming half-term break but struggle to come up with any ideas.
    I used to work as a Deputy Head in a private SEMH school, now enjoying a much less-stressful work as a long-term supply teacher in a special school.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.
    Kind Regards
    Lucas

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

There are three "employment" agencies in the town where I live. There must be jobs, but I suspect (and have never looked) they are of the minimum wage/slave labour/long unsociable hours type. Lots of people work in the "chicken" factory but don't last long, but the population does love its ready meals.

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Finding work for half term breaks can be tricky since most employers want someone who is going to stay for longer then a week, likewise the same applies to Christmas and Easter breaks since a large proportion of this is taken up by non-working Bank Holidays.

You might find more luck (as I have) picking up work during the longer Summer holiday since the longer 5 to 6 week period is more useful for an employer.

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Deleted - relevant to our local area only (I thought it was a national organisation).

5. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Have you signed up with reed and other employment agencies?

Perhaps just go and visit some industrial/enterprise estates to see if they might need someone to help during the half term when parents need to have time off for kids?

I got several "holiday" jobs when I didn't have children and was really broke like this. I tried everything- Kitchen porter, waitress, telephone operator, receptionist, healthcare assistant.

6. rumanowski

rumanowski New commenter

Thank you for all the suggestions.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Have you considered Royal Mail and their Xmas recruitment for sorting offices. They start taking people on in October and early November and you can specify weekend working and then take 'overtime' on available weekdays.
    They often need extra staff in the after Xmas/ New Year period too when they have a mountain of holiday brochures to shift.

les25paul and slingshotsally like this.
  8. rumanowski

rumanowski New commenter

That's a great idea, thank you.

9. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

What about a children's Holiday Activity Club?

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I know someone who spends their HT breaks doing craft activity days in a local community centre for middle class kids whose parents want them looked after for a day.

Or you could do mini-beast and basic woodland survival stuff if you've got the skills and inclination?

11. rumanowski

rumanowski New commenter

I would be very interested in both. Just need to find the local options.

12. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Delivery people, especially in the run up to Crimbo, a couple of large firms are advertising one beginning with Y. But again maybe you have to sign up for longer than a week.

slingshotsally likes this.