1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work whilst off sick

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon224, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Although I was off ill for most of the Spring term, I am being asked to produce assessment evidence for this period. How am I supposed to do this as I wasn't there to oversee the work produced by the pupils?
    Can school honestly expect me to do this?

2. That doesnt sound right to me but you do say you were off sick for most of the term. Were you there in the assessment period?
    I think I would be consulting my union.
    Good luck.

3. I was off for the whole of the first half term and started back on a phased return after that. I basically did about two full weeks. Assessment is supposed to be ongoing throughout the term - all done through observations, of which there is no record for this period.
    The end of year assessment deadline is this Friday - I just feel stuck!

4. I got a response from the union today and they have confirmed that it was in fact the HT's responsibility to ensure that assessment arrangements were in place during my absence and that, unless volunteered, no expectations of work during sickness absence should be asked for.

5. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

The trouble is you were actually at work prior to the deadline of the assessment period. If they won't accept your judgement can they not let you set a few formal type assessments and use those? Whilst I think it is their fault for not checking up on the cover, I do think that the best option is to look at a compromise. Have they said how they expect you to do it?

6. The assessment information requested is from spring term of which I was absent for the majority. The difficulties of this were discussed but the only solution found was meeting with the staff who were present during Spring. It is this current absence which prevented this and therefore the issue arrising. Basically I have submitted results based on my observations from last half term and will be presenting my evidence when I get back as there are too many individual dicuments to email. The fact still remains that I can not produce observational evidence for learning which took place when I was not there, it is simply impossible and impractical. And no, they haven't said how they expect me to do it.

7. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Have you asked them how they'd like you to do it? As it is after SATs surely they could release you to sort it out? I agree that you can't produce observational evidence, so I hope that they can accept other evidence. I just think you need to be careful in the way you approach this as your head is being unreasonable and you don't it to get worse. Unfortunately some don't like staff being ill and this may be a form of payback??

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

You must take further union advice on this.
    I would also suggest that one way forward might be for you to be provided with work the class completed during your absence and that you be given time to review and assess that work now. You must be given time out of your normal directed time - that might mean getting cover for your classes now. You cannot be directed to do it in PPA, for example