1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work to Rule?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by champagnecharlie, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Hello
    Got an email the other day from SSTA saying we are being balloted on a work to rule. If, like me, you are the only person in your department in the SSTA how would you go about sticking to this without causing a riot?
    It would have been much more effective to have a work to rule last term when we were snowed under, it will be much 'easier' to stick to this term - I am worried it will be a bit of a damp squib.

2. Hello
    Got an email the other day from SSTA saying we are being balloted on a work to rule. If, like me, you are the only person in your department in the SSTA how would you go about sticking to this without causing a riot?
    It would have been much more effective to have a work to rule last term when we were snowed under, it will be much 'easier' to stick to this term - I am worried it will be a bit of a damp squib.

3. In my school, where most of the SMT delegate almost everything to non promoted staff, I think work to rule would be highly effective - but really only as a blunt message to our immediate managers.

4. Your line manager and union should support you in this. You shouldn't feel guilty or be made to feel guilty about only doing what you are contracted to do.

5. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

This is much more like it! I got my ballot paper too - first one ever after lots of requests so thank you SSTA.
    Working to rule should be straightforward enough and as CC says, our bosses should support us (with should perhaps the problem?)

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I was going to post a long answer to say what I thought but I've just spotted point 5c in the letter sent by the SSTA! Best to say nothing.

7. Do you really think it will be that easy to stick to? Me just doing the minimum whilst my 5 departmental colleagues sort cover work for long term absent colleague, and complete their respective parts of CfE development work. If I don't have time I can say 'sorry I'm on work to rule I can't finish my unit of work?' and they won't resent me? Hmmm. Also, why don't I have a letter from SSTA?

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I got the letter along with my ballot paper.Did you not get this yet?

9. 35 hours isn't the bare minimum and it doesn't mean you won't do development work. You keep track of your tasks and stop at 35 hours. Part of that 35 hours is determined by your school and covers parents evenings, meetings and stuff like course development. It's only if the tasks you are asked tos do cannot be done within those hours that you don't do them. The advice is usually to ask your line manager what the priorities are.

10. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

The minimum? NO. You are doing what you are contracted and paid to do. If you follow the advice given by the SSTA then the important aspects of the job (kids' teaching and learning) should not suffer.

Cover work? Not your problem. PTs including FacHead PTs have that duty and are paid for it in their job sized salary. Long term absence? There should be a (properly paid) supply teacher in the department.

Letter from the SSTA missing? Contact info@ssta.org.uk. There may be a problem with your contact details. Also ask to be put on the union's email contact list.

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed,especially if we consider most teachers will have more non contact time with study leave and not having the new S1s until August. Any teacher who claimed that they have not done such and such would have to account for everything single thing they did while they were on contracted time. Can't see this being easy.

12. That is all very well in fantasy land but unfortunately I live in the real world. I do not see enough of my pt to ask him/her to prioritise my workload. I refuse to believe I am the only person who feels like this. Cannot get supply and cannot appoint, have tried.

I cannot do all my marking, reports, jotters and planning in the 35 hours never mind everything else because of the weighting of the timetable this year.

13. What do you mean the weighting of the timetable?

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

You've lost me too,Charlie. Not keen on work to rule either but I don't understand your last post.

15. Which is why this should have been done in term 2 instead of the ineffective strike, or term 3 instead of a big fat nothing.

16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Agree.

17. The weighting of junior/senior classes ie certificate and non-certificate classes.

18. what's the problem? Loads of senior classes and they will all be gone very soon so loads of time for anything and loads of juniors and you get them doing presentations, peer assessment etc to lessen marking. It might have been different last term, admittedly!

19. Airy, I didn't think I could feel worse but I do now, thanks for the support, not! You do not know the ins and outs of my situation and I cannot, for various reasons, go into them on this board. Unfortunately this forum, which used to be supportive, is really becoming a 'no-go zone'. I hope you are joking about 'doing presentations', this is not really a viable effective teaching method in my subject. I aim to be good at my job for the pupils sake. Sadly, I think this will be my last post.

20. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Charlie,you sound as if you have a lot on your plate and somehow our postings have touched a row nerve. However,remember that we were only commenting in the context of the timing of the union's work to contract proposal.