1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'work to rule' - your opinion?

Discussion in 'Music' started by trelassick, Nov 25, 2011.

1. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

If by "my time" you mean outside the supposed contractual 195 days [or however many hours it is] - then I would be having my summer holidays now. Frankly a joke. I would hate to 'work to rule' and am not sure that you can be forced to do so.

2. I shall not be working to rule. My Christmas preparations are much too important to me and the children to 'work to rule'.

3. No time for GCSE performances - I'm expected to fit it into lesson time or after school.
    Concerts - generally a morning, but I generally arrange it around my frees to limit cover.

4. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

I think my school are quite good in this regard. GCSE/A level performances I tend to timetable in my free lessons but if I decided to timetable it as an 'exam' they would accomadate this.

Rehearsals for performances - no requests have ever been turned down - in fact I just tend to organise them without asking now!

Afternoon for year 7 performance, afternoon for summer concert, 2 days for Musical rehearsals.

As regards work to rule. I do prefer this in a way to striking just to highlight the amount of goodwill on the teaching profession. However it could be a nail in the coffin for a music dept. I'd worry about losing the kids commitment to ensembles and its the extra curricular groups and their profile in the school that keep the head onside and therefore GCSE A level groups running even when they are small.

5. crenwick

crenwick New commenter

I agree that working to rule would virtually kill off a music deparment. Music departments thrive on all the extra-curricular activities and without them students would not have the enthusiasm, commitment and inspiration needed to choose music in their options and in the future. Whilst I agree teachers, and especially music teachers, go above and beyond every day, the students don't deserve to suffer just to prove this point. And certainly in my school it would be the students who would suffer, and I know I wouldn't enjoy my job as much either.

6. GCSE and A LEVEL performances not in lesson times? What sort of school does this anymore? We have to do all that stuff in the time appointed for the subject.
    As to Work to Rule - our NASUWT union representatives at our regional meeting said that this was not going to happen for the time being. However, if you are in a Union which has called a strike or a work to rule then you should think carefully before not following the union directive - a union only works if it is united - at the moment we are trying to save what we can of our pensions - its not really fair if we leave the actual striking up to other people.
    Unions are demoncractic, we all had the chance to vote - I voted against industrial action - however the vote has been for it - so I will follow this as I am part of the Union, and in return I expect the union to look after me if I have a problem. That's how it works.
    Yes students will suffer - but we don't do this job for the fun of it. And I might remind you that teaching is already one of the highest jobs for death in service - it is stressful and hard and we deserve a proper pension at the end without being forced to work longer and pay more.

7. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

I suppose we could all refuse to put on concerts, but I can't see what that would achieve.

When it comes down to it, the rehearsals and performances are the bits of the job that I enjoy the most. If I could choose not to teach year 9 on a Friday afternoon however....

8. I - and my union reps - find it helpful to keep reminding ourselves and the staff that the dispute is with the government and not with the school. Many of our leadership team (who are ASCL members) donated a day's pay to charity when their colleagues were on strike, mindful of the possibility that leadership team members would probably benefit most from any gains made on the pensions issue.

9. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

Cillit Bang!

10. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Looks like you completely missed post 11.