1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work to rule better than striking?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Compassman, May 7, 2011.

1. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

With all this talk about striking over pensions I was thinking that surely a 'work to rule' would be better than a one day strike.

After all we'd lose a days pay and then the next day we'd carry on doing our normal stuff, lessons and clubs after school, filling forms in etc.

It's about time all this stuff stopped and we did what we are paid for. We are not working for a charity (although it seems it sometimes!)

Why should we carry on volunteering to do stuff whilst our pay is being cut (in real terms) and pensions being devalued.

Time for a period of long term action rather than a token one day strike.

2. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

This thread has developed, hydra-like into 3 distinct parts.

No, of course we shouldn't be doing anything outside the duties required of us by the STPCD and certainly not spending our own money - we've all done it and we all know it's wrong, if schools were properly funded we wouldn't feel the need to.

Cover by anyone with a pulse is a disgrace and should be opposed by letting parents know what is going on in schools.

Striking over our pensions is probably the only argument the government will listen to - totally agree with TomC's comments (and I have haven't said that very often! ): ). I really hate strikes, especially one-off, one day ones, which inconvenience our communities but not our employers, unfortunately I can't envisage an alternative in the current climate.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I feel that all teachers should 'work to rule' all the time, regardless of the political climate.

4. Just to let you know Jubilee some contract teachers do support our supply collegues - it was one of my specific questions when I was job hunting last year and turned down a job due to the use of TAs for PPA (and told them so), and now my school have started consulting about using TAs to cover absence (of any kind) I have written a strongly worded letter to the Head of Goveners about the matter, reminding them of the question I asked about this in interview and how the Head responded (after the Head decided that our opinions were 'wrong' about not being happy with this when she consulted us). So far my class has only been covered by QTS teachers for any absence, not so for all classes in my school - when I was asked if it would be ok for a ta to cover my class for the day I was sent on a Maths course, I said certainly not. One of our Deputies feels the same way as I and has spoken up to the head about it in a staff meeting in front of everyone, so there are some of us trying to support non-contract teachers, and of course our pupils who deserve nothing but a qualified teacher in front of them.
    And I totally agree about all the things we shouldn't be doing - but then I don't do them. I am the grumpy old woman who most people resent as I refuse to do all the **** that comes under 'school spirit' but actually is just taking the mickey, whereas they are too scared? to do so.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Thank you HappyPixie. Your post gives me a glimmer of hope for the supply teachers that come after me.