1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Work till you drop, propaganda from the state.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Nov 20, 2015.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

How about we REDUCE the retirement age to 50, thus creating around 2 million Jobs, destroying the unemployment figures and give the Jobseekers to those retiring.
    Doesn't save any money, but gives younger people Jobs and more leisure time to those who've already worked and paid taxes to their country.

I have just read this in a string of responses to extending the NORMAL teacher retirement age. An interesting thought or two.;)

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I've always thought this would be an excellent way forward.

ScotSEN likes this.
  3. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

If you retire at 50 what would your income come from for the remaining 40 years. Indeed, what would you do for the next 40 years with a limited income?

ScotSEN likes this.
  4. Macrinus

Macrinus Occasional commenter

For most it will be remaining 10 or 20 years at the most. Not everybody lives in the South of England and is female.

ScotSEN and lexus300 like this.
  5. VanEyssen

Why do you think life expectancy at 50 will be 10 years?

6. Macrinus

Macrinus Occasional commenter

For many it will be. My brother dropped dead at 56 years of age recently. I know several teaching colleagues who dropped dead either before or just after retiring at 60.

For the vast majority of UK citizens - male life expectancy is around 70-76, but for females, 73-82.

Retire at 50 and male - your time is limited to just 20 years if you're lucky - for most men retiring in the coming years (at 67 years old), they'll be lucky to get 5 years retirement out of it.

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Saves the goverment money if you make them work longer then! :mad:
    Teachers used to and can still retire earlier but again on reduced pension.
    The reality is pensioners would struggle and become the underclass if there was an reall increase i costs......many folk have not planned for retirement.or have reduced pensions in the case of women due to being out of work,childcare or in low paid work.

8. VanEyssen

The government hsd no money. The government gets its money from the people. They will be the ones to save. You cant work for 30 years and save enough to live for 40

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

When I was growing up that's what they promised us the future would be like!

lexus300 and FolkFan like this.
  10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

A very big assumption that you would live to age 90. Having been retired for over 6 years it is surprisingly easy to manage on a lower income if you plan in advance.

ScotSEN likes this.
  11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I know from my College that quite a few did not even make 60.

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Big assumption again!

13. VanEyssen

You assume everyone can invest snough over 30 years to give an adequate return over the next 30. The maths doesn't work.

14. VanEyssen

Well obviously. I know people who didn't make 16. What's that to do with it?

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Strangely there are around 2 million who do not work.

16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Reaching the age of 90 would put anyone doing so, in the +3sigma area of a normal distribution, dying at 16 would place the individual in the -3sigma area of a normal distribution. If you take the trouble to walk through a cemetery you will see that people reaching the ripe old age of 90 are few and far between, similarly those dying at 16 are few and far between.
    Projected longevity figures for teachers as used by the TP/Gov., are distorted to suit the argument for reducing pension benefits and increasing normal retirement age.

17. VanEyssen

The actuals are already high 80s. You avoid the question of how what percentage of income one needs to save by 50 to live on indexed half pay for 30 years.

18. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

As the obese generation ages I expect longevity will reduce. The ages given are based on averages which are misleading. I understand that the average male age of demise in Glasgow is 56. The nonsense spouted by Van thing is typical of government propaganda who just do not want to support anyone, but they are going to have to support the obese generation with healthcare and disability payments and so on. If people who have already accrued at least 30 years in occupational pensions were allowed a bit more, many jobs could be opened up. There is also the saving in paying reduced salaries to newcomers. The principals of academies know this as they have been shuffling off older staff for years (by fitting them up) and replacing them with NQTs on renewable contracts so they don't have to pay increments. Except the "savings" go into the salaries of the grossly overpaid principals. Of course there is no joined up thinking now that education is every academy principal for himself. You certainly don't get joined up thinking from this government.

19. VanEyssen

Your undertsanding is wrong or can you substantiate this?
    How are employers' pension schmes to fund that? Just increase the value of annuity purchases?

20. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Why have you got such a downer on all this? Gideon working you too hard at Conservative central office? Contribute something believable or get back under your rock. Yout types always start screaming for evidence while never presenting any of your own.

Didactylos4 and lexus300 like this.